Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PrePaying mortgage

tag
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

PrePaying mortgage

I closed on my house September 3rd. Got the payment coupon for November & December. 1st payment is due no later than November 14. I'm going pay my 1st payment early. How will that be counted, as mostly principal & little interest or what? I want to get ahead at least 2months on my mortgage as well as pay down the principal. What you guys think?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

Re: PrePaying mortgage

Also no my mortgage company doesn't penalize for prepayments...
Message 2 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Just be aware that you can't actually "prepay" your mortgage in terms of say paying the next three months worth of payments and then being able to not pay them should something arise.  It doesn't work that way.

When you make a mortgage payment, the payment is applied first to any interest owing, and then to principal.  In the early years of a mortgage, the vast majority of the payment goes to interest.

If your mortgage payment was say $1000 and due November 1, and you pay $3000 to "get ahead," the accrued interest would be paid first, and the remainder would go to pay down the principal balance.

But beware, your next monthly payment is still due December 1 for the full amount.  You have not prepaid your payment, though you have prepaid some of the principal.

Hope this makes sense.  People often get in trouble thinking they have paid their loan ahead by three months, then they want at some point to take a three month break from paying, and then they are in default.

Message 3 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

^^^Exactly right, CH-7-Rebuilding has described it well. 

I have one important piece of information to add:  the payment that is due on the first of each month, for example your Nov 1st payment due date, pays the interest that has accrued between the last payment and the payment date (in this case, your Oct payment).  Your payment is due on the 1st, but the interest is paid in arrears each and every month. So if you pay only the Nov payment minimum amount (PITI+MI if applicable) you will be paying October interest and Nov interest for the number of days that are unpaid. For example if you pay Nov 5th, the interest is all of October plus 5 days of Nov and then the principal is reduced by the remainer, if any.

Paying within the grace period is fine, but recognize that you are paying additional interest from each payment.

Also, the lender/servicer keeps an internal record of your payments that fall within the 1 to 5 days, 6 to 10 days and 11 to 15 days and naturally a record of payments after the grace period.  A grace period only saves you a late fee.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@neptunejcw wrote:
I closed on my house September 3rd. Got the payment coupon for November & December. 1st payment is due no later than November 14. I'm going pay my 1st payment early. How will that be counted, as mostly principal & little interest or what? I want to get ahead at least 2months on my mortgage as well as pay down the principal. What you guys think?

Congrats on your new home!  My first mortgage payment  was due on October 1st and I have paid up until Jan. 1st.   My bank gives me the option to make a regular payment or principle payment.   Regular payments pushed my  due date to the next month and principle payments is just that.   Principle payment only decresed my overall balance, but didn't pushed my due date to the next month.    

Message 5 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

you cant pay ahead.  they will apply to escrow unless you ask for principal reduction.

still have payment due the next month

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 9
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

My 1st payment is due November 1st, if I send in that payment with the November payment coupon, will I still have another payment due for November or will I be fine & then the next December payment a be due
Message 7 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@neptunejcw wrote:
My 1st payment is due November 1st, if I send in that payment with the November payment coupon, will I still have another payment due for November or will I be fine & then the next December payment a be due

no. decmber next due date.

has the loan transferred to servicer yet?

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 9
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

Yes it has, in was transferred to a company that I can't think of the name right now but they sent me my November coupon last friday
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.