Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PreQualification vs PreApproval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PreQualification vs PreApproval

Let me help put both of your minds at ease. I make about $51,000 a year, I have $112,000 in student loan debt, about $10,000 in credit card debt, and owe $20,000 on my car. My credit scores when I applied for my mortgage was 618. I was a nervous wreck the entire time, I kept asking my LO are you sure I am going to be approved, he kept reassuring me that I would be approved. I thought there is no way I am going to get a home. Well the home I found and fell in love with was only $79,900 - it was in an area that is considered less than desireable - but it really isn't it is a lovely area I just don't think people realize the development is there. I found the house on 07/03, offer was accepted on 07/04, official loan app was completed on 07/10. I closed on 08/13. I never thought I would own a house because I had some major credit issues just a year ago, but I timed it all right and I own a great home now. The ride is rough and at times you think you are going to die from the suspense but hang in there, if I can do it, anyone can!!

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh one more thing. You should really start looking for a house, don't wait. Did they give you a limit yet on what you can afford? Don't go to the upper end of that limit if you can help it, the upper limit might make things tight. I was approved for $130,000 but didn't want to go that high because I knew it would be tight, not impossible just very tight. When they give you the limit ask them for an estimate of the monthly payment - I believe they normally supply that but if they don't, ask. Don't forget to figure in other monthly expenses for yourself like electric, gas, water, sewer, trash, etc. Also try to save up a cushion. If you aren't buying a new construction call your utility companies and ask them for the average bill on the property - it will give you an idea of what your monthly utilities will be - they will give you that information, they can't give you specifics though like a break down of each month's bill but they can give you an average (I work for the electric company in my area so i know the rules lol). If you have any questions or just need moral support let me know, I am usually on here through out the day!! Good luck to you both!!

Message 12 of 22
curryb15
Established Member

Thanks for the confidence boost! I went to sign my contract today and my lawyer found out they sent the wrong contract over! ugh i hope this isnt a sign of things to come. Im reschudled for tues evening to hopefully sign the contract.

Message 13 of 22
Score_Raiser_T
Valued Member

Thank you for all the great advise Azriel.

Reading your story along with some others is really giving me some hope and I'm looking forward to the light at the end of this emotional tunnel. I'm still debating if I want to go with a new construction or a resell. I appreciate the info on all the things I should keep in mind. I have all of it in my (house obsession) notebook where I take down notes.

Your the second person that has reached out and told me to go look at houses. I spoke to my realtor's today and I'm going to go out and take a peep. I hope that the nervousness I have about the loan part doesn't put a shadow over a house I may love.

I will be sure to post any updates here once I have some. 

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

azriel - congrats on your success! It feels good paying yourself through home ownership.
Message 15 of 22
andemalia
Contributor

Azriel,

Thanks for easing my mind too. Going through the same thing. I don't know whether prequalification is good enough. The lender checked our credit and used our tax returns, w2s and pay stubs and says the same thing, go look for a house. But why he is not calling that "pre-approval"? We would prefer doing going to the upper limit but in our area inventory is so limited and decent homes are soooo expensive...

01/15 EQ 663 TU 669 EX 674 09/14 EQ 653 TU 635 EX 651
10/13 EQ 579 TU 580 EX 598
BoA 1.5k I Cap1Sec 0.6k I Cap1 QS 6k I Synchrony 1k I Barclays 1k
- Goals - Refi car loan 24% to 15% 12/13
Buy a home spring 2015: in progress; Pay off car loan spring 2016 balance $6200
Message 16 of 22
justrock
Frequent Contributor

My LO sent me a document that said "prequalified" on top and "pre approved" in the body so I was really confused.  The tension does not let up, in fact it gets worse.  Wait until you have to  start spending money you can't get back....so far I'm out $595 for a home inspection, $650 attorney's fees, $535 for my application fee and appraisal, and now $700 for a survey.  If this loan falls throught I won't even have enough money to look for a cheaper house.  I try not to think about it, haven't packed a single thing, and keep saying "If I get this house" when I discuss it with anyone.  My closing is set for 37 days from now and I'm not sure I'm going to make it!Smiley LOL

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: TU 720 EQ 648
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 22
Score_Raiser_T
Valued Member

WOW Smiley Surprised Justrock. Yes those are a lot of fees. I was told I would only have to pay to have the house appraised and inspected. My paperwork makes it look like the attorney fees and application fees will all be rolled in the load or it may come from the down payment. I have not heard of a survey fee. If I had to pay all of those I would have to take a step back. I definitely am not prepared to pay fees like that. I'm not going to tell you to stop worrying because then I would not be practicing what I preach. I will say this. If that house is meant to be your's it will be. Try to stay positive. I haven't even told many people about my house just in case the deal or loan don't come through. You are not alone. I wish you all the best and good luck. Keep the faith. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 22
justrock
Frequent Contributor

I'm trying to stay strong.  My LO is fantastic and I am working with a local savings bank. She ran me through automated underwriting up front and I sailed through that.  I don't think she would let all this money fly if there was a chance I would be declined. She held onto my check for the appraisal and application fee ($525) until my inspection was done.  There was some minor concern that the well wasn't far enough from the septic to pass FHA but it just squeaked by -she didn't want me to lose another $525 if the deal fell through.

But like somebody said earlier in the thread- no relaxing until the moving truck is in the driveway!

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: TU 720 EQ 648
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 22
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Score_Raiser_T wrote:

WOW Smiley Surprised Justrock. Yes those are a lot of fees. I was told I would only have to pay to have the house appraised and inspected. My paperwork makes it look like the attorney fees and application fees will all be rolled in the load or it may come from the down payment. I have not heard of a survey fee. If I had to pay all of those I would have to take a step back. I definitely am not prepared to pay fees like that. I'm not going to tell you to stop worrying because then I would not be practicing what I preach. I will say this. If that house is meant to be your's it will be. Try to stay positive. I haven't even told many people about my house just in case the deal or loan don't come through. You are not alone. I wish you all the best and good luck. Keep the faith. Smiley Wink

Score_Raiser_T, it sounds like you have not been provided with your Good Faith Estimate (GFE) yet. Is that true?  The application fee is part of your closing costs. Some/most lenders require the application fee to be paid up front and will credit you at closing for it because it is POC (paid outside of closing). The attorney fees are separate from your GFE. The survey fee is collected at closing and is part of your closing costs or it may be paid when the survey is ordered depending upon your title co or closing attorney's policy.  It may NOT come from your down payment. The down payment is separate amount.

Closing costs can come from one of three sources:  1) the buyer 2) the seller and 3) the lender.

If the buyer (you) pay for your own costs then you are bringing that amount as disclosed on the GFE and the HUD1 to the closing table over and above your down payment.

If the seller is paying some or all of your closing costs then you would have to have that specific language in your purchase contract for a seller contribution and yes, it would be 'rolled up into your loan' that way. This is the only way it is included in the loan balance.

Last, if the lender pays some or all of your closing costs, then your interest rate is higher and you would need to have that specific discussion and agreement with your lender before the loan is approved through underwriting so the right documentation and figures are supplied to the underwriter to approve you.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.