Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferred Lender

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Preferred Lender

Went to a few open houses today and was told by a listing agent that the builder had a preferred lender who is offering a $1,000 credit and the seller will pay 3% closing cost when using the preferred lender. Should we go with the lender they are referring to or get pre-approved elsewhere and come in asking for the builder to pay closing cost?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jd403
Regular Contributor

Re: Preferred Lender

@Anonymous wrote:

Went to a few open houses today and was told by a listing agent that the builder had a preferred lender who is offering a $1,000 credit and the seller will pay 3% closing cost when using the preferred lender. Should we go with the lender they are referring to or get pre-approved elsewhere and come in asking for the builder to pay closing cost?

I shopped through lenders and got estimates based on my scredit scores.  In the end, I decided to go with one of the preferred lenders.  They are giving us $1,000 towards closing on top of the $3,000 towards closing from the builder.

Good luck!

FICO 8: TU 716 EX, 718 EQ 721 (10/19/21)

Discover IT $10.5k, Citi AA $10.8k , Cap One QS - $6.3k, Amex Optima - $4k Kohl's - $3k, M-Life MasterCard $8k, Amex Delta Gold $16.5k
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you didn't have each lender pull your credit report, you just gave them your scores?

Message 3 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

do you have a realtor?

you should.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Shop for lenders the sames as you shop for a Realtor or a house. You must be comfortable with the choice you make. Beyond the numbers, communications, responsiveness, knowledge, experience are factors to consider. All the the best to you with your home shopping adventure.

Message 5 of 7
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Be careful about bringing in a realtor after you have already had contact with the builder. Some will not pay your realtor if they are not with you from day 1.

Message 6 of 7
jd403
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So you didn't have each lender pull your credit report, you just gave them your scores?

I had already pulled my January mortgage scores and shopped rates, askingfor estimates.  I didn't let them pull until I was ready.  By the time I had cleaned up my reports and pulled my February scores, I knew who I wanted to use.

FICO 8: TU 716 EX, 718 EQ 721 (10/19/21)

Discover IT $10.5k, Citi AA $10.8k , Cap One QS - $6.3k, Amex Optima - $4k Kohl's - $3k, M-Life MasterCard $8k, Amex Delta Gold $16.5k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.