asgor
Valued Member

Re: Update Preparing to start VA loan process

CONGRATS VERY EXCITING. I am excited for you

Message 31 of 39
SeaDog1957
Established Member

Re: Preparing to start VA loan process

Closing went smoothly. Moving is going slowwwwww!
Lender Pull Dec 2012 EQ 618
MyFICO Site: June 21 TU 700 EX 731 EQ 684
Lender Pull June 26: TU 686 EX 704 EQ 684
MyFICO Site: Sep 12 TU 700 EX 732 EQ 689
Message 32 of 39
Ugghh
Established Member

I feel you on the slooow moving.  Trying to do this with two youngins is kicking my butt!

Congrats on closing!

Message 33 of 39
resilient
Established Contributor

Congratulations! I can't wait until the day I get to buy my own house. Hopefully it'll be next February, when the Army moves me wherever. Ahhh, the wait!

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 34 of 39
natesmom

Do you mind stating who furnished your loan? - Nevermind I see that has been asked. I should read more before posing questions. Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 39
SeaDog1957
Established Member

I used Southpoint Financial Services for my mortgage.

Message 36 of 39
Milkey

@SeaDog1957 wrote:

I used Southpoint Financial Services for my mortgage.

Congratulations! Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! That's a lot to celebrate in your new home - awesome!

If I may ask, what county/state did you buy in? Did the Seller pay any closing costs?

We were looking for months and months over the course of two years and could not get a VA offer accepted! With all offers we included a letter from our lender stating that we were preapproved for the offer amount for both conventional and VA funding (we were choosing VA financing because it made the most sense). We even included 20% down with verification of cash in bank. But there was such a shortage of houses here in Southern California and too many investors in the market with cash. We also increased the offer prices to pay for a Seller Credit in case anything came up that we weren't allowed to pay for as a VA Buyer (wrote it so that unused funds were refunded to us). Regulations have changed allowing VA buyers to pay for most all closing costs now except for the terminte inspection, but we were thinking... just in case. Also, most agents we came across were unfamiliar with VA loans and still thought that VA buyers could not pay for closing costs. Apparently they do many more VA loans in the San Diego area since it's a big military community, but in Riverside/Orange Counties, we found that agents said they were famililar with VA but were not.

Happy you found your Home Sweet Home!

Also FYI for people who have used the VA loan before... you can pay down the funding fee by putting 5% down.

Message 37 of 39
SeaDog1957
Established Member

Mikey,

I live in South Carolina. I too had to compete with investors with cash, but they usually were giving low ball offers. I increased my offer above the sellers asking price by an amount that allowed him to pay my closing costs. My realtor was not very knowledgeable about VA loans but my loan officer was. I was also well prepared as I had done a ton of research and had all documents ready when I approached the loan officer. I wish you well in your search!

Message 38 of 39
Milkey

@SeaDog1957 wrote:

Mikey,

I live in South Carolina. I too had to compete with investors with cash, but they usually were giving low ball offers. I increased my offer above the sellers asking price by an amount that allowed him to pay my closing costs. My realtor was not very knowledgeable about VA loans but my loan officer was. I was also well prepared as I had done a ton of research and had all documents ready when I approached the loan officer. I wish you well in your search!

Thanks, enjoy your new home!

I too was making offers well over the asking price. All offers, in fact, were over the asking price and including an additional amount to include the Seller's Credit with me paying my own closing costs. Just couldn't get one accepted. Will begin trying again in the next year I think. Take care and best wishes.

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.