Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prequalified and have a question...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prequalified and have a question...

My wife and I are prequalified for a mortgage based on our income.

Today we went to the sales office to pick out the structural options, landscaping etc;

We are preapproved with 10% down but the sales agent is asking us to bring 15% with us when we sign the contract. This has raised a huge red flag with both my wife and myself. We feel that the extra 5% they are suggesting we put down would best be served sitting in our bank earning us intrest not the builder.

We are not going to put more than the 10% down that we are approved for.

Does this sound like normal business practice?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Prequalified and have a question...

Sounds like they want the extra 5% to apply toward your extras...which you haven't selected yet. 

The builders agent works for builder -only.  No matter how friendly the builders rep is or how engaging, their sole duty is to get as much $$ out of you as they can during the sales process. They do not represent you. I know this sounds harsh, but it is true. Also, the sales contract you sign is 100% builder oriented. Take it to an attorney to review. 

I work with builders (representing the buyer's side now - years ago the builders side) and you need to be careful.  Nothing wrong with a new house. But the contract reads differently than the builders rep will tell you. I have seen the builders rep say, for example, $X toward your closing costs and never telling you that the builder has pushed over $Y of their costs to your side and you only get a small amount to apply to your actual closing costs.  Happens all the time. This is one example. There are many. Have a good real estate attorney review the builders contract in full before you sign anything and you will be in much better shape. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.