Valued Member
sddykstr

Prerequisites for 5% Down

My wife and I have spent the last year paying off various credit card debts, etc and are looking towards buying a house in the Oct 2014 timeframe. We still have some work to do saving money and paying down the remaining cards, but by September, we should have around $18k saved and only about $1k in credit card debt left, no car payment.

My current scores are around 700, I expect them to be closer to 720 by the time we start looking, hers are very similar. We make about $160k combined and will have only $130 / mo in debt payments.

I'm wondering if this puts us in the territory of being able to qualify for a 5% down conventional loan. I'd like to shoot for a house around $300k in NC.

I know there is no way to say for sure, but I want to make sure I'm setting reasonable expectations, and if not, what should I be changing to more realistically align my goals.

Thanks!

Starting Score: 653
Current Score: 721
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor

Re: Prerequisites for 5% Down

Yes you will easily qualify for a 5% down conventional loan

Keep working on the credit the higher the scores the better your mortgage insurance will be

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker Lending in all 50 states -
Valued Member
sddykstr

Thanks for your help Brian!

Starting Score: 653
Current Score: 721
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
ezdriver

I have been telling my buyers to use $7.50 per $1k mortgage to estimate monthly PITI [Principal, Interest, Taxes, Insurance]. That gets you in the right ballbark. Then take that payment and divide it by your gross monthly income to get your estimated qualifying ratios. Add all of your other debt payments to it before dividing and you'll get an estimate for your other qualifying ratio. That's all yu need to figure out what you can qualify for and what you will feel comfortable buying ... they are not always one and the same.

All the best with your home search.

Starting Score: 618
Scores on 10/9/13: EFX 652, XPN 669, TUC 662
Scores on 3/17/14: EFX 649, XPN 677, TUC 681
Goal Score: 720 ALL

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
DallasLoanGuy

those scores are fine for 5% down conventional. apply with confidence

* While I try to visit the forum often, please feel free to contact me directly with a link to your post if I fail to answer a follow up question.

* Lending across the entire 'Great State of Texas' since 2004

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}