Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary Residence

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Primary Residence

If I rent an apartment in one state work in that state and spend most of my time in that state can I obtain a mortgage on a home in another state as a primary residence? The new home would be the only home I would own. It would not be rented.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

Re: Primary Residence

Can you clarify a little bit- are you talking about living near the state line with just a few miles between? Also to buy a house as a primary residence you would have to be moving to it and make it your primary residence and your work would have to be near it-like close enough to drive. Or are you talking about moving? Or are you saying you want to buy a second/vacation home and call it a primary residence? In that case absolutely no that would be fraud.
Message 2 of 5
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@rockymtngrl wrote:
Can you clarify a little bit- are you talking about living near the state line with just a few miles between? Also to buy a house as a primary residence you would have to be moving to it and make it your primary residence and your work would have to be near it-like close enough to drive. Or are you talking about moving? Or are you saying you want to buy a second/vacation home and call it a primary residence? In that case absolutely no that would be fraud.
I currently do not own a home so it would not be a second/vacation home. I plan on moving within a few years and the home is not close to where I currently live.  

Message 3 of 5
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

No you cannot do that. Technically it would be a second or vaction home even if you are renting your primary home.
Message 4 of 5
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@rockymtngrl wrote:
No you cannot do that. Technically it would be a second or vaction home even if you are renting your primary home.

Thanks looks like it's a moot point since the rates for primary and vaca home are the same on the Penfed website.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.