Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private loan being shopped to note buyers

tag
JBjunior
New Contributor

Private loan being shopped to note buyers

Last August I purchased a considerable piece of land on a 10-year 3.0% promissory note linked to a deed of trust.  The loan is held by a family member and I never authorized a credit check and one was never completed.  The deed to the land was transferred to me and there is just wording about the land being tied to the completion of the loan.  The family member is in need of cash and is shopping the promissory note to mortgage and note buyers at this time.  One pulled my credit today through a secondary company and stated that he had a valid reason to do so.  I understand that someone who has a valid reason can do an inquiry but it still irks me that the company is able to do this and it seems that I would have had to give permission at least initially or something.  Basically the person who I currently owe money to could once a month shop this out for the next two years and I could have a plethora of inquiries and it doesn't seem that it could be legal without my consent.  The mortgage buyer company uses Microbilt to do their checks and he attempted to get them to change it to a soft pull and they stated that while he can change all of his inquiries to soft pulls in the future they can't do it retroactively.  Is anyone familiar with anything like this?

On a secondary question, since this posted as of yesterday and I was going to be shopping for a home mortgage in the next few months is this week a good time to shop for one since there is already two hard inquiries for mortgage companies on my credit and it will look like I have been shopping for one anyway?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Private loan being shopped to note buyers

@JBjunior wrote:

Last August I purchased a considerable piece of land on a 10-year 3.0% promissory note linked to a deed of trust.  The loan is held by a family member and I never authorized a credit check and one was never completed.  The deed to the land was transferred to me and there is just wording about the land being tied to the completion of the loan.  The family member is in need of cash and is shopping the promissory note to mortgage and note buyers at this time.  One pulled my credit today through a secondary company and stated that he had a valid reason to do so.  I understand that someone who has a valid reason can do an inquiry but it still irks me that the company is able to do this and it seems that I would have had to give permission at least initially or something.  Basically the person who I currently owe money to could once a month shop this out for the next two years and I could have a plethora of inquiries and it doesn't seem that it could be legal without my consent.  The mortgage buyer company uses Microbilt to do their checks and he attempted to get them to change it to a soft pull and they stated that while he can change all of his inquiries to soft pulls in the future they can't do it retroactively.  Is anyone familiar with anything like this?

On a secondary question, since this posted as of yesterday and I was going to be shopping for a home mortgage in the next few months is this week a good time to shop for one since there is already two hard inquiries for mortgage companies on my credit and it will look like I have been shopping for one anyway?

It sounds as though your credit report may have been pulled without permissible purpose, which is illegal. It sounds as though it's your family member, not you, seeking the sale of the promissory note. Unless you gave permission for your credit to be pulled, I can't see how the prospective mortgage/note buyer had cause to pull YOUR report. Unless you were seeking the loan, or the loan had already been purchased by them (establishing themselves as your creditor), or, they had your permission, they're out of luck.

I'd stop communicating with them by phone, and send them a "Permissible Purpose" letter, CMRR (certified mail, return receipt). You can search the forums for an example. I'd also contact the credit bureau(s) where the INQ appeared, and request the stated permissible purpose of the puller, and whether or not they have a signed consent form. I'd also report this to your state's Attorney General. I'd wait 30 + 5 days for mailing for a response, and then I'd sue them for the statutory (and hopefully punitive) damages.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before jumping off the deep end on the legal issues do 2 things.  Read your original contract.  If it was drawn up by a competent attorney there may very well be a cluase in there giving them some limited power to pull credit, etc.  IF so that pulls are legit.  ALso this is a family member so if there is no language in the loan that allows for credit pulls or limited rights to control the note, then just call them and politely ask them to not pull credit.  In the end, it should be theri credit any creditor is pulling if they want to take a loan out against the note.  Otherwise it appears they are effectively trying to refinance the note but a creditor can not refinance a note in your name and take the cash out themsleves while you continue to pay them.  What would happen is you would refinance the note and pay them off.  Obviously you would have to sign for this.

I would check the loan paperwork very carefully and then address the issue with your family member.  If you do not like the answers you get, then talk to a real estate attorney.  In the end, your family member can not refinance the money you owe him.  He can either take a loan out using that "accounts receivable" as collateral, or you can refinance the debt to pay him off.

Message 3 of 8
JBjunior
New Contributor

It is a very simple contract and there was nothing in there about pulling credit there isn't anything in there about the being able to sell the contract either.  No social security numbers were ever given.  We just went to the lawyer and gave our terms and all of the small print revolves around if I sell the full amount is due immediately and things like that.  To be clear, they are not looking to use the loan as collateral but are looking to sell it just like they would any other mortgage note.  Basically, the company wants to buy it and then I would owe them the remainder of the loan at the new terms.  It was this company that did the credit inquiry not the family member.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

then it was illegitimate pull and the company should have the remark removed.  You should talk to the fmaily member and be clear that they do not have permission to pull your credit to do any deal they want to.

Message 5 of 8
JBjunior
New Contributor

Thank you for the information.  I have faxed the contract over to my lawyer and should hear back within 24 hours or so.  It is all free (military legal) so it isn't a big deal to get a straight answer from them.

Message 6 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Regarding how this relates to qualifying to a new mortgage, all inquiries have to be explained and so these will come up.  Just explain as you have said here and it won't be a problem.  Don't pursue any lawsuits as those do need to be disclosed even if you are the plaintiff (although being a plaintiff usually isn't an issue, it's just best not to get involved with that during a mortgage application).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 7 of 8
JBjunior
New Contributor

Just an update:  It was determined that there was not a permissible purpose and it was removed.  I consulted with my lawyer while simultaneously working with the companies involved to get it straightened out and it was removed from one CRA today and I have seen the paperwork for the other one to be removed.  I didn't pursue anything else.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.