Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with crediotr not reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with crediotr not reporting

Can someone help me figure something out? I had a bankruptcy in 2004 and at the time I thought I was reaffirming my auto loan. I assumed my attorney took care of this. Anyways I continued to make payments on my auto for these past four years. I am now trying to get a new car loan and I found out that my auto loan had been discharged in the bankruptcy and the lender has not reported to the credit bureau my four years of making on-time payments. So I have nothing to show for my last four years of making payments. Isn't the lender obligated by law to report my payments to the credit bureau? This infromation greatly affects my ability to get a good interest rate on a loan. I am a little upset about this. Thank you.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Problem with crediotr not reporting

No they are not obligated. Have you engaged the creditor as to why they are not reporting?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problem with creditor not reporting

They said they will not be reporting it because the loan was discharged in the bankruptcy. I did get them to fax me my payment history so that I can send that to the credit bureaus to help build my credibility (at least i think it will help.) I was going to also ask my attorney write me a letter staing that a mistake was made and that the car loan should have been reaffirmed in the bankrupotcy but isntead it was discharged. I thought if I send that to the credit bureaus it also might help. What do you think?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problem with creditor not reporting

I reaffirmed a car loan and it's the same - it doesn't report after the bankruptcy.  It's pretty common, and there really isn't much you can do except dispute with the bureaus.  However, since the creditor isn't reporting, you'll have to keep disputing it every few months to keep it on your credit.

For some reason, when creditors stop reporting due to a BK, they never start reporting again once the debt is reaffirmed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.