Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of income for VA Loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Proof of income for VA Loan?

To all the mortgage (VA) experts out there:

I'm a physician who will be finishing training this year.  To those who are not familiar with residency pay physicians typically earn around $45-50k each year while in training.  Same applies to me but in 2008 I took home about $95k (which includes moonlighting).

I will be taking a federal physician (public health) job with a starting salary of $145k (sounds like a lot but less than the private sector).   I have a contract from the federal agency that states this salary explicitly. 

Problem is I will be relocating to a new area and would like to qualify for a $400k mortgage.  My new salary will support this (i.e. with respect to debt/income) but my current salary/tax returns will not support this. 

Will a lender approve me based on my new (contracted) salary?  I really don't want to move into an apartment for two months just to get a couple "paystubs" showing the higher salary.

Thanks for any help. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Proof of income for VA Loan?

No response is not good news - You have to show income from the new job for Govt loans.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

There are special mortgages from Bank of America, SunTrust and a few others which are specifically called "Physician's Loans" or "Doctor's Loan", and are for people who are graduating and are entering the medical field.  These loans will allow you to use your future income/employment to buy a home today, as long as you can show you have enough funds to cover all of your monthly expenses (and then some additional reserves) until you start getting paid.   Excellent credit is needed as well as usually a small down payment.  A VA loan does not have that feature though.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi NewVAloan, Smiley Happy

In the "and a few others" category that Shane mentioned above,

try doing a pull in Yahoo! or Google for "physicianloans". No space

between words...all one word. I think you'll be very pleased with

what you find.

Good luck to you!!! Smiley Happy

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything"

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.