New Contributor
lks638

Proper Etiquette When Loan Shopping

As I am sure most consumers do when they are shopping for the best terms on a mortgage, they work with more than one broker to offer them the best terms.  What is the best way to handle walking away from the one with the less attractive terms?

I am currently working with two loan officers, representing two different companies.  They've both done a lot of work on our file, but one's loan has significantly higher closing costs, and a higher interest rate.  But the loan officer has done a great deal to help us along with the process of getting an application.

Should they both come back with pre-approvals, what's the best way to tell the more expensive one that you'll pass, without being a jerk?

froggy77

Re: Proper Etiquette When Loan Shopping

Good Question. I had planned on giving them all the opportunity to beat the best offer.

Is that considered gauche?

Valued Contributor
IOBA

I don't think so.  

Do both brokers know you are shopping?  If not, I would let them know.  It's fair to communicate to both brokers.

Get both offers/pre-approvals in writing.

If there is one broker you prefer to work with over the other, then give that broker an opportunity to improve the offer.  

Contributor
rehr22

IOBA wrote:

I don't think so.  

Do both brokers know you are shopping?  If not, I would let them know.  It's fair to communicate to both brokers.

Get both offers/pre-approvals in writing.

If there is one broker you prefer to work with over the other, then give that broker an opportunity to improve the offer.  

I agree with this.

I mean, they have to think you are smart enough to be shopping around for such a big purchase.  It's not like we are talking about a pair of dress shoes.  At the end of the day, I think there comes a point when you provide some transparency to let them know they are 1 of 2 (or 3, 4 etc...) that you have narrowed it down to.  If they are as candid as you, perhaps they will ask "what do I need to do to win this deal".

Starting Score: (2009) EQ = 626 | TU = 664
Current Score: (03-18-2014) EQ = 737 | TU = 703 | EX = 723
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}