Did you mean: 

Property Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Property Loan

What FICO score do you think one would need to qualify for the following:

Property Value (Condo): $30,000

% Down: 20% (Can also put up to 30% if need be)

Property location: CA

Little Info on Me:

Income: $60,000/year

Total Debts: $1800/month  (student loans, rent, bills, etc - NO CAR LOANS or CC debt)

First Time Buyer: Yes

I pulled a TransUnion Credit Report 3 months ago and my credit score was 600 (student loans went into default while I was out of work 2 years ago).  I am guessing my FICO is probably around there. Just curious if I have any chance at getting a loan for a $30,000 piece of real estate? I would arther not bother trying to pre qualify if I can avoid the embrasssment of denial. Haha.

Any help/info is appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Property Loan

@Anonymous wrote:

What FICO score do you think one would need to qualify for the following:

Property Value (Condo): $30,000

% Down: 20% (Can also put up to 30% if need be)

Property location: CA

For such a small loan, I'll bet you that you'd need to take out some sort of personal loan vs a mortgage loan. From reading threads here, I've seen oodles of pros tell posters that anything below $50K is hard, hard, hard to do.

Little Info on Me:

Income: $60,000/year

Total Debts: $1800/month  (student loans, rent, bills, etc - NO CAR LOANS or CC debt)

More important than your "front-end" ratios (that's the ratio that calculated by adding your housing costs AND credit debts divided by your monthly income) is your *back-end* ratios. That is only your CREDIT debts divided by your monthly income.

For that ratio, you want to stay below 31%, I believe. That is, if you*can* find a lender who'll lend so low.

Sooo ... how much are your debts *excluding* housing/rent?

First Time Buyer: Yes

I pulled a TransUnion Credit Report 3 months ago and my credit score was 600 (student loans went into default while I was out of work 2 years ago).  I am guessing my FICO is probably around there. Just curious if I have any chance at getting a loan for a $30,000 piece of real estate? I would arther not bother trying to pre qualify if I can avoid the embrasssment of denial. Haha.

Any help/info is appreciated!

Like I said, I think the *biggest* embarrassment you'd suffer would be having an LO tell you that they only lend larger amounts.

However, 2 things:

Student loans: Are they current? If not, most mortgage lenders will balk at defaulted FEDERAL student loans (not sure about private ones). Defaulted Fed loans will get your name in the CAVIRS system (not good). I *think* that you will have had to have made 12 consecutive payments in order to be eligible for an FHA.

Your credit score. Before you even consider going shopping, I'd pull BOTH your EQ and TU scores here. Since you can't purchase your Experian scores anymore (at least, not FICO Experian scores), you'll need BOTH scores to know what your midscore is. And that midscore needs to be at least 620 nowadays.

(You'd assume that the lower of the two is your midscore -- like I said, you can no longer pull your EX FICO anymore, so it's the best we got)

Message 2 of 4
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Why is a condo in CA going for such a low price?  Are there issues with the property?  This could potentially be a problem if there are property issues.  Condos are much different than single family residences when it comes to getting a mortgage.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the lack of response. I haven't been on the forums since my original post. Haha.

I have since found out that yes, loans under $50k are far and few and have been looking into properties in the $60-$65k range now (assuming I can use the first time buyer credit toward closing costs). I have been pre approved via conventional loans up to $100,000, so I am assuming that I should be able to qualify for a loan should I find something? 

As for the properties, yes they need a little work. But they are deep in the Southern section of CA...Palm Springs area to be exact. Reason why they are so low is that the HOA fees are high. The HOA fees makes the deals unattractive ($465 on a $30,000 place), which scares investors/buyers. So there is no demand. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.