cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property Tax Question

tag

Property Tax Question

We bought our home on May 7, 2015. The property taxes were $2943.22. We could not claim the regular homestead exemption until January 1, 2016. In my county in MS we are only able to claim the homestead from January 1 through March 31st. I claimed the homestead on the 5th of January which resulted in much lower taxes of $1664.68 but my mortgage company had already paid the property taxes of $2947.01 on 12/31/15. Beginning in March my mortgage payment will reflect the new property taxes of $1664.68 but I was wondering if we should receive a refund since we overpaid for the property taxes. If so will the amount be refunded to me or my mortgage company? Anyone have any information regarding this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Property Tax Question

I over paid into my escrow as well, if I recall anything over $50 will paid out with a check anything less they will adjust your mo payment. Don't know if its the same everywhere. Mine was only $33 over, they just adjusted the payments to make up the difference.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Property Tax Question

Since they already paid your property taxes the old (higher) rate I would contact your county assessor and see what they say. They will more than likely refund the difference since you have a lower rate now. Our county assessor's office said our exemption won't be approved until after our taxes are paid, and if approved they will send us a check for the difference/overpayment. The county will have the most accurate answer for you.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.