Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property seizure and CR question - Not sure of options

tag
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Property seizure and CR question - Not sure of options

I'm sure not an expert on this and I don't know Louisiana law (which has a reputation for being pretty peculiar), but I'm wondering how this can be an "in rem" action at this stage. I know "in rem" actions mostly from studying civil asset forfeiture proceedings (e.g. taking the property of people suspected, but never committed, of drug war crimes). But normally in foreclosures the property would already have to be under the jurisdiction of the courts for that to come into play. And in that case, you would already have had a chance to present part of your case in court.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/In+rem

Pardon me, though. I may be misunderstanding something and not helping your very tough situation.

Message 11 of 19
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@edcampbell613 wrote:

@I have been doing mortgages for 7 years, never seen 1 private mortgage ever reporting on someone's credit report, but i might be wrong or there might be some rare cases of this, or it might be a state only thing. @Dun, have you pulled your credit and do you see it reporting?

StartingOver said only that private mortgages are recorded -- which they usually are. I've had several of them. That's recorded with the county, not reporting to the CRAs.

I agree it's unfair that they don't report when they're in good order but can hurt like hell when they end up with a CA or in court.

Message 12 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the information.  So odds are that it will not report which will help my credit score.  The bank that gave me initial approval of the loan is aware of the situation and is going to work with me.  My friend will buy the property and then I will buy it from him a couple months later.  (I need to save up some more as I will have two closings to fund, his and mine as well as having to make a new deposit).

Hopefully my friend and I can work this out and he will buy it.  I'll enter into a contract with him with rights of occupancy and ability to buy back property for the payoff amount on his loan.  I'll cover mortgage note and other items associated with property until I buy it back (which will probably be in 60-90 days). 

I just dont get my aunt.  She is purely motivated by hatred of me and isnt listening to reason.   This has been going on for 5 weeks now and I havent had a good night's sleep since.  What ticks me off more than anything is all the hard work I have done over the last 2 years can all go to waste.  If I cant work this out with friend to buy property my only other option is Ch. 13 which I really dont want to do.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I'm sure not an expert on this and I don't know Louisiana law (which has a reputation for being pretty peculiar), but I'm wondering how this can be an "in rem" action at this stage. I know "in rem" actions mostly from studying civil asset forfeiture proceedings (e.g. taking the property of people suspected, but never committed, of drug war crimes). But normally in foreclosures the property would already have to be under the jurisdiction of the courts for that to come into play. And in that case, you would already have had a chance to present part of your case in court.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/In+rem

Pardon me, though. I may be misunderstanding something and not helping your very tough situation.

Louisiana has two types of foreclosure, ordinary and executory process.  Ordinary proceeding is a personal proceeding that can lead to a personal judgment.  Executory process is an "in rem" proceeding in which the creditor only has rights to the real property.  There is no personal judgment involved.  The creditor can seek a deficiency judgment after the sheriff's sale if the sale doesnt cover the value of what was owed and if the property was sold at sheriff's sale with the "benefit of an appraisal."

Message 14 of 19
edcampbell613
Contributor

I doubt the bank you are working with will work with you based on them knowing you are going through a foreclosure. You are currently 3+ months behind? It sucks that family can be jerks at times. Good luck

Message 15 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

The dispute is regarding the payments I made.  As I said, I have spent over $1000/month on mother's expenses and have cancelled checks and credit card statements that backup my spending.  I explained the situation with the bank and provided them with all my documents.  My grandmother isn't technically foreclosing on me for late payments.  She is foreclosing on the balloon note.  Given these facts and the relationship that I and my friend have with the bank (he has significant assets with the bank), they are ready to close on the loan once I get earnest funds for the down payment.

Message 16 of 19
coterotie
Established Contributor

Does your aunt have your grandmother's power of attorney?  Has your grandmother been declared incompetent? Is your Aunt exercising undue influence?  An attorney may be able to attack the foreclosure on these grounds and get a stay from the judge.  Louisiana allows you to judge shop, so see if your rich friend has some connections to the judiciary if you get my drift.  Good buddy of mine lost his retirment to his "fiance" while he was in a coma.  She married him and then divorced him all while he was in a coma and got his retirement checks directed to her for over a year as alimony.  Her accomplice was a gambling buddy of the judge (who was in a jurisdiction about a 100 miles from his residence).  Took a campaign donation to get the mess straightened out.  Then he moved to Tennessee.

@Duncanrr wrote:

The dispute is regarding the payments I made.  As I said, I have spent over $1000/month on mother's expenses and have cancelled checks and credit card statements that backup my spending.  I explained the situation with the bank and provided them with all my documents.  My grandmother isn't technically foreclosing on me for late payments.  She is foreclosing on the balloon note.  Given these facts and the relationship that I and my friend have with the bank (he has significant assets with the bank), they are ready to close on the loan once I get earnest funds for the down payment.

Message 17 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Im meeting with an attorney this afternoon.  I have voiced similar concerns about this as well.  In particular, my grandmother's estate would not collect as much via a sheriff's sale as they would if we just refi the home.  I even told them I would execute a document waiving all rights to home while maintaining monthly payments while we waited the 6 months if I   When I spoke to her attorney I requested a copy of the POA and he said he didn't have one and was working directly for my grandmother.  He indicated that after meeting with my grandmother that he felt she was mentally competent to handle her own affairs.  I have serious concerns about this well.  My aunt is clearly taking advantage of my grandmother and pushing her to make this decision based off solely personal reasons.

I'm thinking about filing a C&D order and fighting the foreclosure or filing an answer that she lacks procedural capacity to bring the suit.

Message 18 of 19
edcampbell613
Contributor

Good luck, hope it works out, you are in a crazy situation!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.