Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property tax question for Shane or Dallas

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Property tax question for Shane or Dallas

Hi!  I am new to the boards, but have been reading as much as I can.  My husband and I want to sell our house and buy a new home this fall.  I have a question about property taxes.  We live in California.  We paid cash for a fixer uppper house 5 years ago.  We have had to put a lot of money into it, and as a result, we messed up on paying our property taxes in the beginning.  We have paid last years and this years taxes, but we owe back taxes (starting with 1994).  We owe $20,000.  We are going to do a 5 year payment plan where we pay 20% ($4000) and then we pay the remaining amount in five payments scheduled once a year for 5 years. This is a payment plan set up by our county tax assessor. 

My questions are in regards to getting preapproved for a mortgage in the fall.  Obviously if we haven't paid off the remaining $16,000 in taxes by the time our house  sells, it will come out of the sale, but how does this look?  Will it affect our ability to get approved for a loan?  Is it as bad as having tax liens?  Is it better to have the taxes paid off before we talk to anyone about mortgages?  If we pay off the taxes, can the loan officers/brokers tell that we were once behind in our taxes?

I don't know if it would help you to know a little bit more: husband's annual income $80,000, no credit card debt, no mortgage, fico scores for both of us are in the 630 range, we plan on putting a $250000 to $275000 down payment on a $500,000 or less house.

Thanks for any information that you can provide!

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Property tax question for Shane or Dallas

As long as you don't get a tax lien filed by the county, and the outstanding property taxes are paid with the proceeds of your sale, then it wouldn't affect your new mortgage at all.  If it'll be paid off with the sale there is no reason to be concerned about it as it'll be paid in full by the time you close on the new home.  A good thing to do would be to disclose this up front to the loan officer, and if you haven't sold your home by the time you have submitted your loan for underwriting the underwriter will just condition the property tax repayment plan to be paid in full or have it included in the debt to income ratio.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

As long as you don't get a tax lien filed by the county, and the outstanding property taxes are paid with the proceeds of your sale, then it wouldn't affect your new mortgage at all.  If it'll be paid off with the sale there is no reason to be concerned about it as it'll be paid in full by the time you close on the new home.  A good thing to do would be to disclose this up front to the loan officer, and if you haven't sold your home by the time you have submitted your loan for underwriting the underwriter will just condition the property tax repayment plan to be paid in full or have it included in the debt to income ratio.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane,

Thank you for your help!

Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Welcome!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.