cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prospect Mortgage - what would you do?

tag
chicklet74

Prospect Mortgage - what would you do?

In the process of trying to obtain an FHA loan through Prospect Mortgage.  We are buying out my brother in law in the sale of my deceased mother in laws house.  Basically paying off her small mortgage ($110,000)  and splitting the remaining equity of the home (house appraised for $180,000).  Basically he will walk away with $35,000 and we will have that much in equity (approx).  I began this process on Feb 9 which is when I completed the initial application with the broker.  He was wonderful at first.  Answered every call/email within an hour.  I turned in all documents right when asked for them.  Received a pre-approval, completed disclosures and then had the appraisal done.  And then....nothing.  The processor sent me the appraisal, I confirmed I got it and then heard nothing for about 10 days.  On Mar 30 processor finally told me she had everything and everything had been submitted to underwriting. 

I asked then how long that should be expected to take.   It took 6 or 7 days to hear an answer and when I did, they didn't really answer me,  they had a question about my assets which I answered immediately.  Another 10 days or so went by, I again asked for a status from the processor AND broker.  Heard nothing.  Several unanswered emails and  phone calls later, I finally had my husband stop into the brokers office.  He said there was a hold up in compliance regarding the fact that it was a none arms length sale but it had been resolved. Still had no idea when we could expect a response. Yesterday I got a call from Equifax credit asking me to verify some accounts which I did.  I emailed the broker and asked if I could get an idea of a closing date should we be approved.  No answer.  Today I called.  No answer.  This is extremely frustrating.  Its been 2 and a half months and as most of you know, it is a huge hold up on the rest of your life to be locked into this process.  Also, it stresses me out not to get a response at all. 

Does anyone know what I should do?  Should I just wait it out?  Is it normal for a pretty straight forward loan to be in underwriting this long? Is it normal for a mortgage broker not to return phone calls EVER???

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Prospect Mortgage - what would you do?

No, it is not normal to take more than two months for a mortgage.

I just had a transaction close last month with Prospect and it was a nightmare transaction. I had the buyer (I'm a Realtor) and he came in with his own lender. It was one of the worst mortgage closing processes I have ever experienced in 35 years of real estate sales. 

Prospect is a huge company where the right hand has no idea of what the left hand is doing IME. Their process is cumbersome and the LO that my buyer had was also not communicative, like your LO.

IMO, if you ever want to get this closing done, you need to find another lender. It is extremely difficult to work with a LO that doesn't communicate.

Message 2 of 6
chicklet74

This is upsetting to hear. Starting over was really the last thing I wanted to do.  I had read decent reviews on this company and never dreamed that in mid April I would still be in the middle of all of this. 

Message 3 of 6
chicklet74

Do you think it would help if I tried contacting a branch manager?

Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Try the manager first. The buyer I had also went to the manager for the branch he was using and he was not effective. Every deadline was missed. Every subsequent verbal date was missed. They just have an extremely slow, cumbersome process. For this recent experience it appears that the communication between departments is terrible. IME the manager will try to placate you but not really jump in and push things along. Their management between departments is very fragmented. The manager over loans can't push a file through processing as the processing manager won't permit it, no matter how far behind your file is now. Try the manager anyway, but be prepared to move your file to another lender.
Message 5 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

No, it is not normal to take more than two months for a mortgage.

I just had a transaction close last month with Prospect and it was a nightmare transaction. I had the buyer (I'm a Realtor) and he came in with his own lender. It was one of the worst mortgage closing processes I have ever experienced in 35 years of real estate sales. 

Prospect is a huge company where the right hand has no idea of what the left hand is doing IME. Their process is cumbersome and the LO that my buyer had was also not communicative, like your LO.

IMO, if you ever want to get this closing done, you need to find another lender. It is extremely difficult to work with a LO that doesn't communicate.

thanks for the feedback.

just got a recruiter call from them.

i will dump their info now

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.