Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing a House with $0 down...

tag
oceanbay
Established Member

Purchasing a House with $0 down...

So first of all, let me say something before people freakout: I don't plan on buying a house with zero down. My girlfriend just is constantly bickering about it and I would love to show her than just my opinion.

So to start off, a little about us: 23 years old, combined income of $110,000 I have a auto loan and student loans, she has nothing. Both of us are college graduates and have been at our position for less than 6 months (just moved).

Our credit scores are low (650ish) but have a lot to gain, as we recently paid off a significant portion of debt, making our DTI around 10%.

So the discussion has been...we live in a booming city where rent is insane, but there are opportunities to buy nice houses for what we give for our rent each month now.

We currently pay $1,700/month for rent (pretty comfortably) and my girlfriend is right, it goes right down the drain.

So my argument is:

-We have no down payment

-We have only been employed for less than 6 months at our new jobs

-I should probably cut my student loans down another 30% or so.

-We need at least 10% down and 2 years consistent employment.

Her argument is:

-We already (comfortably) pay $1,700 a month for rent with no return.

-We could get a decent $300,000 house and pay less than what we do now and have something to show for our money.

-Or we can get a house that needs a little love for $250,000 and spend 30,000 to replace appliances or flooring.

-We get a cheap house now, we can always sell in 5-10 years when we have stronger financial profiles.

Which makes more sense to you all? I mean I would agree buying a house sooner rather than later would be great, as I would rather have a higher interest rate and go negative on my house than pay $1700+ a month for another 3 years, which would be 60k into nothing. With the way housing prices and rent is rising in our area, it is a thought, I guess.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Purchasing a House with $0 down...

You have the right idea. Lenders require two years employment history so use it to pay down your debt and save for a down payment [FHA requires 3.5%] ... plus your credit may improve to beyond 680 which will qualify you for a conventional loan. It is nice to see you both thinking of buying a home vs continuing to rent long term.

Message 2 of 15
alyssamarie
Regular Contributor

If you're working in the field that you got your degree in, you should be able to count time in school towards your 2 years of employment history (as far as I've read).

I think it's just a matter of personal preference, there are benefits to both. For example, if you buy a house with a mortgage payment that's equal to your rent payments, you'd still come out ahead because you can deduct the interest paid (which will be the majority of your payments) and lower your taxes. But of course there is a lot more flexibility with renting and less responsibility so it depends on what you prefer. 

I don't know how to buy a home with $0 down though, but if you find a way, let me know lol

Discover It $1k | Chase Freedom $1.2k | Barclay Apple $1.7k | Target $1k |TJX Rewards $1k | Walmart $900 | Macy's $800 | American Eagle $750 | VS $750 | LOFT $500 | Express $350 | Cap1 Sec. $200 |

AU: Amex BCP $5k | Barclaycard Arrival $3k | Amazon Visa $2k | Chase Freedom $2k | Discover It $1.5k

Gardening as of 02/04/14
Current TU FICO 701 | Goal 1: 700✓ met on 2/18/14 | Goal 2: 720

Message 3 of 15
nikkiheaven
Contributor

NFCU has 100% financing.

Message 4 of 15
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

it depends on the lenders....some do 100% finacing (like Navy Fed)

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nikkiheaven wrote:

NFCU has 100% financing.

You just made me kick myself AGAIN for closing my NFCU account ten years ago!

Message 6 of 15
cim
Established Member

Here's an opinion you can take the to bank, my young friend.  It will be unpopular because most people's perspective is clouded by emotion when it comes to purchasing a home, especially girlfriends and wives.  Others, such as real estate agents and the rest of the industry (i.e. advertisers, home builders, contractors, building supply manufacturers, appliance makers/sellers, HGTV, politicians, mortgage banks/brokers, home owners - of which I am one) that profit when you leverage borrowed money to purchase a home, have a vested interest in keeping you uninformed and misinformed.  It's a mine field out there, buddy, help protect yourself with critical thinking.

The "no return" argument is bogus.  You're getting shelter and all which comes with it in return for your money spent.  It's not that simple of an equation and when you sit down to honestly and comprehensively run the numbers, there are plenty of future unknowns you can never precisely account for.  Recognizing what you don't know about the future and accounting for it by building a savings moat is exercising prudence.  You nor anyone else knows if you'll indeed have a return when you sell.  Don't forget about the maintenance costs that are built-in to your rent, as a homeowner, that's all you, you need to build that into your projections.

You could end up needing to sell in a down market for net less (sale amount less transaction costs) than you paid for it.  Ask anyone who has lost their home to foreclosure if they honestly thought they would foreclose before making the purchase.  I bet they would all tell you "no."  Again, emotional purchasing and imprudent planning for future unknowns.

Making a purchase when rates are low is not reason enough for a "great time to buy" as is often touted by vested interests.  All other things being relative, it's financially better to buy when rates are high because high rates puts downward pressure on the price level.  If you enter in when rates are at historic lows, they don't have a lot of downward movement room for refinance opportunities in order to lower payments.  At a lower price level, you'll need less down payment and will have less downside exposure.  Lower prices are always better for the first time buyer, guess who lower prices aren't good for?

Tax breaks are a weak draw.  It completely depends on your individual tax situation (which can change) and the government always finds a way to change the rules just when you think you've got the game cornered - ask anyone who remembers when you could itemize and deduct credit card interest.  As long it's available, consider that with a lower rate mortgage comes less interest you can potentially itemize - it cuts both ways.  Plan for change, it's the only constant you can count on.

Some folks will taut the intangibles of home ownership.  There are intangibles to renting as well, just ask any upside down home owner who has the neighbors from hell living next door or ask the guy who got a great job offer further away and needed to move whilst having an upside down mortgage.  Or how about the person that wants to make certain improvements or property changes only to find out they're not permitted by their local municpality.  People will come up with just about any excuse of so-called intangibles they can to justify their impulse to purchase a home even when they can't truly afford it.  Observe how commercials from real estate associations seductively impart the idea that you're not doing well by your family and kids if you don't "own."  Or maybe how you haven't "arrived" until you're part of the landed class.

If you're looking in certain hot markets (L.A., S.F., Vegas, Phoenix, Miami, Austin), we're at the top of what is called an echo bubble and this is not the time to buy if you care about price.  I urge anyone to bookmark and come back to my post next year to see that I'm right about this.  If you're looking in a less populated or less popular part of the country, the price level still makes sense.

In the bubbly hot markets, it's going to come down to being between waiting for a smarter time to buy versus giving into impatience.  In the other areas, it's not so clear but you'll at least be more insulated against the next downturn.

Message 7 of 15
oceanbay
Established Member

Thank you for the thought-out response. I do live in a hot market (Seattle) and the prices here have really skyrocketed compared to what they were just 3 years ago. For example, I was looking for an apartment in the building I live in now and one bedrooms at that time were running $1,000/month. I am paying $1,700 a month now. Ridiculous. 

When I look at places like Zillow and see the last "sold for" price it just blows my mind that people are paying $500,000 for a small house on a small lot that hasn't been updated in 20 years. These types of houses seem like such a waste of money, especially when you see they were last sold in 2005 for $200,000.

I'm not even looking to live in the city, I am just fine with a 20 mile commute in the north or east directions (so all the way to Mukilteo, all the way out to Black Diamond/Snoqualmie) and the prices are hardly better out there.

Flat out honestly the real estate here is a complete ripoff.  But, unfortunately, I don't see the market getting any better, with companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks continiuing to hire and grow the city (which is great to have them!) I just dont see the demand going down here, ever.

I think unless I find a way to add $20k+ to my salary each year I am here, it doesn't seem like I have a shot to ever own a nice house in this area, as it is likely the prices for the same junky houses will continue to rise faster than my salary.

But I had another thought that's pretty unorthdox from what I can tell. What if I bought piece of land in an area I want to live in now and then in 2-3 years when I am (hopefully) ready, I could just have a small custom-built house? The land is the most expensive part so i wouldnt have to worry about how much the value raises over the next 2-3 years and the labor materials would likely be the same as if i were to do it today. Does this make any sense at all?

Otherwise, you're right, I would be pressuring myself to buy which would stretch my budget and put me in a shack that will need $50k+ renovations needed.

Message 8 of 15
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

There are as many reasons to buy as there are not to buy ... depending on what YOUR priorities are. I am a sales counselor who sels new construction. Of all the people waling into my office, I really only care about people who WANT TO BUY. I see people overanalize things to the point where the decision is made for them ... which is nothing. I see people come back to me after having walked away six months before ... and buy at my high price.

Right now, I have no idea if you should buy or continue to rent ... because I don't know you. Your answer has to come from whin yourself ... not from an internet forum.

Message 9 of 15
oceanbay
Established Member

So, my thought is this: I live in a high-growth and a very expensive market (Seattle). Home values are increasing by at least 5% each year, while my salary is not. There are several short sale homes that are around 100k below their actual value (they are in fantastic shape, too). My thought is if I could get a great house in a great location with a huge discount, I would already have major equity in the house and all of my rent would go into an investment, rather go to rent (waste).

Unfortunately, I do not have a down payment, but I wonder if there are other things I could do to come up with the down payment?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.