Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing a House with $0 down...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Purchasing a House with $0 down...

looks like you gross 9,000 a month and pay 1,700 in rent  that leaves 7.300 should be easy to save at least 5,000 a month in 6 months buy a house i guess i missed something

Message 11 of 15
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@oceanbay wrote:

So, my thought is this: I live in a high-growth and a very expensive market (Seattle). Home values are increasing by at least 5% each year, while my salary is not. There are several short sale homes that are around 100k below their actual value (they are in fantastic shape, too). My thought is if I could get a great house in a great location with a huge discount, I would already have major equity in the house and all of my rent would go into an investment, rather go to rent (waste).

Unfortunately, I do not have a down payment, but I wonder if there are other things I could do to come up with the down payment?

put part of your salary in a savings account you don't have everyday access to and check it every 6 months

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 12 of 15
HiLine
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

looks like you gross 9,000 a month and pay 1,700 in rent  that leaves 7.300 should be easy to save at least 5,000 a month in 6 months buy a house i guess i missed something

Possibly the loan payments, and the cost of living, plus being young Smiley Wink

Since I was living in Seattle just a year ago, I can testify for the high cost of living there. Though state income tax is nil, many things in Seattle are expensive, including, but not limited to, property taxes.

My take on this, which actually has little to do with money or credit, is that there is too much uncertainty about the OP's and his girlfriend's lives for them to consider buying something as permanent as a house. Since this is their first year living together in a big city, there are many things to do, to see, and to try, being tying their lives together and to a house. Buying a house together is a huge commitment. I would wait to be a little more mature before making such a big decision. The flexibility of renting, which admittedly is intangible, is often under-rated.

Message 13 of 15
Lemmus
Established Contributor

"We could get a decent $300,000 house and pay less than what we do now and have something to show for our money"

...have you actually ran the numbers on that?

...If you purchase a $300,000 home with an FHA loan at 4.250% and put 3.5% ($10,500 down), your loan payment will be more than your current rent

...and this does NOT include monthly escrow for taxes and insurance which in your area would be significant

...nor does it include maintenance costs which vary but are not inconsiderable 

...and the tax savings are not all that much at your current income level 

...and thats assuming that those "650" credit scores you cited are actual FICO 04 numbers and not FAKO or FICO 08 numbers?

You might want to sit down with your housemate and really look the numbers over again.

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 14 of 15
ranger2992
Valued Member

A lot of people on here have given some great advice. I would like to ad a little in a different area. You are 23, not married and new on the job. Buying a house right now is going to carry a lot of risk because your life is just starting. First you are entering into a massive investment with somebody you are not married to. That in itself can be very sticky if who you, or she loves changes, as it does rapidly at 23. Second, you may have a great job in a different location fall in your lap. You are New and once you have a little experience will be very marketable. What is going to happen if you need to get up and move in a hurry. Your GF may not want to move. Is she going to be prepared to cash you out and pay the mortgage on her own?

A lot changes early in life, and a home purchase is a huge commitment. It's not like a mutual fund you can liquidate in a day, it will take a lot of time and effort to get out of. Personally, I would find something to invest in other than a house until your married, or in a position to buy it on your own.

Just my .02

Joe
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.