Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing a New Construction Home

tag
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Purchasing a New Construction Home

Thanks again for all the responses! I appreciate it- 

Tooleman- You were able to get $12k in options for no charge- Did you offer the builder's full base price and you got the $12k free options, or did you also negotiate something off the base price? 

Junie- I'm seeing the same thing in FL- there are some builders who don't have to offer any incentives because there is so much demand for their building area. Right now, there are only two builders in the subdivision I'm looking at, and both are offering incentives. One builder has been in the subdivision for several years, and was not offering any incentives last year. I think they're only offering incentives now to stay competitive with the other builder. 

Message 11 of 23
jmc912
Valued Member

If you don't mind me asking what general part of FL are you in? We are looking at new construction in North Florida and we haven't quite gotten there with the builder yet... Hopefully our realtor can negotiate. She said they usually have some wiggle room for price. 

Message 12 of 23
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

I'm close to central Florida.

Message 13 of 23
jmc912
Valued Member

I say pit the builders against each other and go with whoever will give you a better deal...

Are you working with a realtor? 

I hear that usually they are better at negotiating extras, etc. Because they have the power to bring more people to the builders (or not!).... The sales agents work for the builders... It might be a good idea to have someone on your side looking out for you. That is, if you aren't too far in already. 

Good luck and keep updating if you get a deal!

Message 14 of 23
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

Fortunately, I am working with a realtor, so I'm hoping he'll be able to get me the best price. 

I've priced out the options I want most, and it comes out to about $9k. There's some other upgardes I want, but it's best that I stay conservative. 

I should be able to make the offer before the month ends. I'll definitely post the outcome. I hope everything works out for you as well. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 23
Amythyst
Contributor

wow, 9k in upgrades!  Wish I was that good... I think we put like 45k of upgrades in! Smiley Very Happy

My realtor didn't do jack... they were mostly with us as a hood ornament so we could get the realtor rebate program through Navy Federal Smiley Sad  All my realtor did was tell us what a great deal we were getting and take us out to dinner for making her the easiest 15k in her entirely life... lol.

Message 16 of 23
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

@Amythyst wrote:

wow, 9k in upgrades!  Wish I was that good... I think we put like 45k of upgrades in! Smiley Very Happy

My realtor didn't do jack... They were mostly with us as a hood ornament so we could get the realtor rebate program through Navy Federal Smiley Sad  All my realtor did was tell us what a great deal we were getting and take us out to dinner for making her the easiest 15k in her entirely life... lol.

Oh my gosh how is that possible! I too have about 9k in upgrades too but it was for my dream kitchen and a bigger master.... I am thinking about paying that out of pocket and not include it in the loan.

Message 17 of 23
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

@Amythyst wrote:

My realtor didn't do jack... they were mostly with us as a hood ornament so we could get the realtor rebate program through Navy Federal Smiley Sad  All my realtor did was tell us what a great deal we were getting and take us out to dinner for making her the easiest 15k in her entirely life... lol.

I would love to do more, but I had to come back to earth, and keep the payment at a level I can realistically afford. LOL! The base price doesn't include tile in the wet areas- so I added that along with tile in the great room. I also wanted granite countertops for the kitchen and master bath, along with upgraded carpet for the bedrooms, and a refridgerator. Another reason I stayed conservative is to make sure I don't run into appraisal issues. 

I always hate to hear about realtors who don't or won't negotiate anything for their customers. I think my realtor may be a little concerned about negotiating, but I figure, it's better to ask, and be told "no" or get a counter, than go in at full price and wonder "what if". 

Message 18 of 23
Amythyst
Contributor

LOL!

Well, we opted for structural upgrades where we could as its much harder to add on to your house later!  We got a morning room, a six foot living room extension, an "alternate" floor plan upstairs that puts the laundry room up there and a sitting room in the master bedroom.  All that together was at least 30k I think.  Then with all the little nitty gritty upgrades upgraded toilets, garage door opener, upgraded kitchen, tiles, fireplace, deck ... yea about 46k. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 23
K_J
Regular Contributor

Amythyst... way to go we signed December and opted for structural upgrades as well, morning room, master sitting room, solarium , 4 ft bump in the family room and 2 ft 4th bedroom bump. All for 50% discount.  We added oak stairs, kitchen upgrade. everything else was standard. We used a realtor to negotiate and got additional 10K in options. 

Starting Score: EQ: 532, EX: 569, TU: 621 (All lender pull 10/15/11)
Score: EQ: 660,lender pull 4/13, EX: 671 lender pull 4/13, TU: 691 lender pull (4/13)
, current Score (3/16/17) EQ: 724. Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.