Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing out of state --somewhat complicated

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Purchasing out of state --somewhat complicated

Our current situation:

Me:  Living and working in California, DTI(using my debts only) with a mortgage would be around 35%, Middle mortgage score 642.  I think my DTI if I had to include my husband's debts would be closer to 45%

Husband:  Living and working in Georgia, makes about double what I do but has miserable scores...under 580

Our living situation isn't going to change for another 6 months or so, but we would like to go ahead and purchase a house in Georgia as I will eventually be moving there.

My question:  Would I be able to get a mortgage for a primary residence in GA?  And if we go FHA, would I be able to use just my debt since GA isn't a community property state?  I really don't want to put more than 5% down.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Purchasing out of state --somewhat complicated

@Anonymous wrote:

Our current situation:

Me:  Living and working in California, DTI(using my debts only) with a mortgage would be around 35%, Middle mortgage score 642.  I think my DTI if I had to include my husband's debts would be closer to 45%

Husband:  Living and working in Georgia, makes about double what I do but has miserable scores...under 580

Our living situation isn't going to change for another 6 months or so, but we would like to go ahead and purchase a house in Georgia as I will eventually be moving there.

My question:  Would I be able to get a mortgage for a primary residence in GA?  And if we go FHA, would I be able to use just my debt since GA isn't a community property state?  I really don't want to put more than 5% down.

Hi 2kids2cats,

No, you cannot buy a home in GA with an FHA mortgage while living & working in California. Your best bet is to work on your husband's credit scores for the next 30-60 days. You're going to need a lender to help speed up the process with credit simulators & rapid re-scoring.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.