Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qualify for mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qualify for mortgage?

My SO is planning on purchasing a house before our lease is up (Feburary).  Right now his TC shows TU 589 EX 579 EQ 585.  From what I can see the only thing holding him down is the util. on credit cards.

B of A - 497/500
Cap1 - 496/500
Credit One 596/600
Orchard - 273/300
Household - 295/300
Goodyear - 683/800
Tribute - 544/550
Sears - 1088/1070
BP - 285/300
Exxon - 60/200

I know right now his util. is 94% and we are planning **crosses fingers** to pay that all down to 5% util. by the first week of November. My question is this - after balances are paid down, do you think that would give him enough of a boost to qualify for a mortgage?  We do have a few months until the end of our lease, so I'm hoping that those months will give us enough time to bring scores up.

Oh, there are 2 collections that the CA has agreed to a PFD so those will be paid this Friday.  I'm sure that will help too.

Any advise, thoughts, feelings, ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated. All my contacts at brokers are begging me to let them pull his credit and I said NO WAAYYYY.. Not until I know were ready and it won't be a waste of an inquiry! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Qualify for mortgage?

getting all this down should give him a very nice boost in score.   The only thing I would be concerned about is the time frame you are working with.   How long can it be until you pay all this down?   Because even after you pay everything down you then have to wait until everyone reports and the CRA"s update all the info.     So the quicker you get going on this the better.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If my budget works out correctly, by the first week of November.  I knew I needed to do it asap to give creditors enough time to report, so even if my dog doesn't eat at least the scores will go up!!!

JK I will feed him lol
Message 3 of 10
Boswd
Valued Contributor

That should allow for enough time for everything to report.   But in the mean time, don't apply for any new credit, keep all your bills current including your utilities bills and start increasing your assest such as savings.
Message 4 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You started out by saying the only thing keeping the scores down is utilization, but then go on to mention some collections you are PFD... is there anything else negative on credit?

Message Edited by ShanetheMortgageMan on 10-18-2007 01:37 AM
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I double checked it again and thats it - high util. and 2 collections.   No late payments, 2 paid car loans, the closed CCs were in good standing, no late payments at all (there was one but through a GW I got them deleted).
Message 6 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Then I agree, you'll see a tremendous increase in scores, wouldn't be surprised if it's 100+ points.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 7 of 10
ujocka
Valued Member

I would suggest you have him pull his FICO scores. The scores you listed are from TC, aka FAKOs. There could be a drastic difference in the two.
From Chapter 13 discharge and low 500s in 2015 to EQ: 781 TU: 767 EX: 794 in 2017...Make your vision your reality.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, as soon as we pay off the CCs I will pull his FICO scores.  I thought about doing it first but figured I'd save my money until its actually worth looking at!

Shane - 100 pts really?  My heart stopped just thinking about it lol, I will hope for the best and pray that the few months we have until app. time will be worth it. Wish me luck! 
Message 9 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

If there is nothing else bad on credit and utilization is paid down that low, then yeah, I've seen huge increases in scores of that magnitude.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.