Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question/Dilemia

tag
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question/Dilemia

I wish home prices were that low in my area.  A house of similar square footage is going for over $200,000 here.  I am building and I'm paying $265,000 for just under 1600 sq ft - 3 bedroom/3 bath.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 11 of 19
Amythyst
Contributor

Well when I want to negotiate my salary, I just go out and find myself a new position and then when I give them my 2 week notice they figure out that they can't live without me and then ask what can they do to keep me?  I say give me more money and I'll stay... and wah la!  Now, this only works of course if you have done a great a job and they really want you to stay. Smiley Very Happy  But, if they don't counter offer you...then you have a new job (that hopefully is paying you more anyways) and then its a win win. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 19
jadeite788
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Just curious, what is the option fee for?

Aren't you buying the property now?

The option fee is the fee for the home inspection period of 10 days.  If anything major is wrong, I have the right to opt out of the agreement.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 19
jadeite788
Established Contributor

Where are you at?

@kimmiller112 wrote:

I wish home prices were that low in my area.  A house of similar square footage is going for over $200,000 here.  I am building and I'm paying $265,000 for just under 1600 sq ft - 3 bedroom/3 bath.

Message 14 of 19
jadeite788
Established Contributor

@Amythyst wrote:

Well when I want to negotiate my salary, I just go out and find myself a new position and then when I give them my 2 week notice they figure out that they can't live without me and then ask what can they do to keep me?  I say give me more money and I'll stay... and wah la!  Now, this only works of course if you have done a great a job and they really want you to stay. Smiley Very Happy  But, if they don't counter offer you...then you have a new job (that hopefully is paying you more anyways) and then its a win win. Smiley Happy

Well that is difficult, trying my butt off to find a better job.

Message 15 of 19
Amythyst
Contributor

Well yea, I suppose  it depends on the line of work and the area you live in.  I'm in DC Area ... so, finding a new job here is like going to a buffet (at least in my IT field).  I do wish you lots of luck though!  Even though it is easy to find positions where I am, I still can't stand looking for a job... I hate interviewing.

Message 16 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@jadeite788 wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Just curious, what is the option fee for?

Aren't you buying the property now?

The option fee is the fee for the home inspection period of 10 days.  If anything major is wrong, I have the right to opt out of the agreement.

Wow! Here the option to cancel the contract is included without a separate fee. We have that option to cancel for any reason at buyer's discretion during the inspection period, not just for inspection report items. Interesting how different markets have nuances...

Message 17 of 19
skohl

Maybe a little late to weigh in with this advice but I would advise not to buy a house you don't like no matter what your husband thinks. It was a source of friction between us and buyer's remorse for me for quite some time when I made this same mistake. If you have the time, find the right home.

Message 18 of 19
jadeite788
Established Contributor

@skohl wrote:

Maybe a little late to weigh in with this advice but I would advise not to buy a house you don't like no matter what your husband thinks. It was a source of friction between us and buyer's remorse for me for quite some time when I made this same mistake. If you have the time, find the right home.

Thanks, but I actually backed out of the home already before any earnest money was put down.  Back to the drawing board.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.