Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding "Partial" Refinance

tag
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Question Regarding "Partial" Refinance

I have heard of some individuals being able to "split" the refinancing on their mortgage loan to stay within Fannie Mae Conventional loan limits. E.g. if the balance on a first mortgage is $500,000 with no second mortgage or HELOC, and the property is in California, is it possible to refinance $417,000 to get Conforming rates (as opposed to High Balance rates) and then the remaining $83,000 under a different program, like an ARM? Has anyone heard of this and what is the right terminology for this? I always thought that under these circumstances, it would have to be an all-or-nothing type of deal, where the entire $500,000 balance would need to be refinanced under the same program.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Question Regarding "Partial" Refinance

It's called a piggy-back mortgage, very popular before the real estate bubble bursts and you can still get them today, but a few months ago I called over a dozen banks for a client of mine, and found out unless you have a ton of equity (20-40% depending on the lender) you aren't going to have any 2nd mortgage options here in California.  I suspect it won't be long until there will start to be some 2nd mortgage lenders willing to go to 85-90% of a home's value.

So if you have the required equity, then you could potentially refinance your 1st mortage at $417k and the remaining on a 2nd mortgage up to 80% of the home's value.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.