Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Buyers Agent Fee-Could use an answer ASAP

tag
ji9
Regular Contributor

Question about Buyers Agent Fee-Could use an answer ASAP

So we are in negotiations with sellers to purchase they're house.  They said they would only pay our agent. 2.5%.  She asked us if we woud would pay the other.5% and we agreed.  Now we've reached the final back and forth with the seller and they've come down to our price of $240K from they're last counter of $243 but only if they can take another .25% off her commission.  I've never heard of this happening before.  I totally feel our agent deserves a full 3% commission but this is putting her and us in an awkward positon.  The market here is tough in our price range, we love the house and don't want to walk away, just wondering if this is now common.  When we bought our first house 9 years ago we didn't pay anything towards the buyers agent fee's. 

Starting Score: 608 (TU) 612 (EQ)
Current Score: 679 (TU) 679 (EQ)
Goal: 760 on all
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about Buyers Agent Fee-Could use an answer ASAP

When negotiating it is all about the net price - however they get there is ok

It is not that common for a seller to negotiate the realtors commission - mainly because that % is usually determined when they make an agreement with the listing agent.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Why doesn't the seller's agent just reduce their commission by .25%?  Are they not using an agent?  Is their agent working for free?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 8
ji9
Regular Contributor

They are using an agent, not sure if he could be a friend or something though, he's a local agent in our town so not sure.  Yes, I agree, they're agent should be reducing his fee and for all I know he is.  Our agent is being great about it and said she won't stop it from letting the deal go through either way. 

Message 4 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@ji9 wrote:

They are using an agent, not sure if he could be a friend or something though, he's a local agent in our town so not sure.  Yes, I agree, they're agent should be reducing his fee and for all I know he is.  Our agent is being great about it and said she won't stop it from letting the deal go through either way. 

There is no rule that prohibits a seller for asking agents to reduce their commissions. It is an exception when it happens. If you want the house, and the seller wants to sell it, the reductions to achieve the final, mutually-acceptable price has to come from one or more of the four parties involved ... seller, buyer, listing agent and buyer's agent. You and your agent should establish a bottom line [how much you are willing to pay and how much she is willing to give up] number to give the seller.

Message 5 of 8
ji9
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for the responses.  Not sure yet if we will pay it or not.  Our agent knows we may not have enough funds left over to comfortably pay her and she's willing to accept that.  We will plan on paying her the extra though if we can.  

Message 6 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

sounds like your agent is getting railroaded.

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

All of the above are right. ^^^ I have never seen this happen except in the case of short sales or foreclosures where the bank is paying the commission or if the property is a 'FSBO' (For Sale By Owner).

It is not typical to change the commission after the listing agreement is signed because the listing agreement is a contract that the seller has previously agreed to compensate the listing office prior to ever putting the property on the market. The office for the buyers agent gets a pre-determined amount of the gross commission. That amount is disclosed in the MLS. It is not supposed to change once the property is listed in the MLS per the contract each office has with the MLS.

So, when the commission changes that just shifts the party paying it, not the actual amount due. There is no "if we have the money we will pay it after closing clause". The way it works when the seller asks you to pay the commission portion toward your agent is that amount, whatever is agreed to, is added to your side of closing costs at the time of closing. It isn't an optional fee. If the listing figures don't add up, then either the house doesn't close or someone else brings in the funds. I would be very careful here.

Note:  some sellers are under the impression that buyers' don't have closing costs to pay at closing. That is not true. If you are paying cash, then your closing costs are nominal, but if you are getting a mortgage, you have large costs due at closing too. Is it possible the listing agent hasn't explained all the costs you will have to pay? I have found that once the seller understands that both the buyer and seller are paying to close, you don't end up with the seller trying to shift the commission expense. The seller can only do this if you agree because the seller already signed their contract with the listing office. The seller has no way out of the fee now.

EDIT: Sounds like you have a seller's market in that neighborhood, is that true?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.