Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about DTI and also another short sale related question

tag
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

Question about DTI and also another short sale related question

Ok, so we have been waiting (we knew there was going to be wait) for a little over two months now. We put the offer in a short sale back in May. The seller accepted, we did the inspection, get the mortgage commitment letter and now we are waiting on the banks answer (which is BOA). We fell like we are being jerked around. The sellers agent repeatedly asks us to get an appraisal,  our lawyer has tried for two weeks to get a hold of the sellers attorney with apparently no luck.  So like many others, here we are. The house was listed at $350,000, because of the location, lot size and school system, we offered $359,000 with $10,000 sellers concessions (basically full price). It's worth it and didn't want to get into a bidding war. Our laywer thinks we could back out with no issues, but the contract states it could take up to 90 days to get a response from the bank.

Fast forward to last week, we started looking around again for other homes. We found one we actually like better, one town over. It's bigger, one extra bedroom, needs nothing but a little updating here and there. The list price is $419,000 and the home owner stated to their agent that they are in no hurry to sell, but would like to move before school starts in September.

The problem is: My wife is doing the mortgage solely as  I am on unemployment ($2,200 a month) and my income cannot be considered. We have almost zero debt, except one credit card with $4400 on it and two school loans at $200 a month (all wifes obviously). She makes $88K a year plus over time. With the DTI ratio, does anyone think we could be approved for $400K or so? Our LO office is out until Monday and will run the numbers then, but I can't wait..lol. What would be a good offer with seller's concessions?

Starting Score: 454
Current Score: 690
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Question about DTI and also another short sale related question

If you are using conventional financing, the debt ratio is about 41% (not including OT), and it gets close to the 43% threshold which a lot of PMI providers have made the DTI cut off (a few go to 45%).  With FHA financing (if the loan amounts go that high there) it's fine though.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

Yeah sorry, I should have stated it would be an FHA loan Shane...what do you think?

Starting Score: 454
Current Score: 690
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Yeah the debt ratio should be fine.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.