Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about FHA PMI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about FHA PMI

I received a letter from the IRS saying we owe tax for 2014 for several "mistakes", one of which is that I claimed our mortgage insurance premiums as a deduction, but no mortgage insurance was reported by BB&T to the IRS. I pulled my tax transcripts and sure enough, the 1098 information the IRS received shows mortgage interest, but no amount for mortgage insurance. We sold that house in December 2014, at which time the mortgage was obviously satisfied. I can't find the 1098, so I will have to call the bank to figure out what's going on, but why would this be happening? I wouldn't just claim mortgage insurance premiums if I didn't see the amount somewhere! And I know I paid PMI that year!

So confused and worried now that I wasn't supposed to claim mortgage insurance for some reason I'm not aware of. Could it be related to having gotten a loan modification in January? Or because we sold the house in December?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about FHA PMI

I should also add that the 1098 info the IRS received from BB&T for 2012 and 2013 included both interest and PMI.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about FHA PMI

This question would be best for an accountant to answer. Best of luck to you though!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.