Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about FHA Qualifications

tag
ficofreaks
Valued Member

Question about FHA Qualifications

We are new to this board and want to thank everyone reading this and offering their knowledge.

We are in somewhat of a questionable position for FHA financing.  I had bought a home using FHA financing back in '06 in the state of Arizona.  My husband and I were not married at the time I purchased the home.  About a year later we were married, however, he never at one point had anything to do with the loan or deed.  He was never on either and when I refinanced he always signed the deed waiver (I believe it's called).  The house just short sold a couple of weeks ago and even though he had absolutely nothing to do with the house (mortgage or deed wise) we were told by a couple loan officers that he would not qualify for a FHA mortgage (or any other type of mortgage for that matter including conventional, USDA, etc) by himself because we live Arizona and it is a community property state and since we were married at the time of the short sale, it becomes part of his problem as well even though it doesn't show up on his credit report for obvious reasons.  We then called a couple more loan officers (in Arizona) and they told us that it doesn't matter if I short sold a house because we weren't married at the time I bought it and the mortgage company wouldn't even run my credit.  So we wanted to know who is correct?  I have looked this information up online and specifically for Arizona residents I found several sites that stated he shouldn't have a problem getting a loan, but they might run my credit to include any debt I have onto his and count that against him (which I luckily have absolutely no debt, just collections and a short sale on my record).  BTW, at the time of the short sale we were 120+ days late.  Thanks again for anyone that can offer some advice.

Starting Score: TU 534 EQ 582 EX 582
Current Score: TU 534 EQ 582 EX 582
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about FHA Qualifications

We are in a similar situation. Wife has her home up for sale and will more than likely be a short sale. I was never on the loan or deed (purchased before we even met). We also live in a community property state. We were told by lenders that I would be able to finance a home in my name (once I get my scores up a bit). I applied and got preapproved back in December but had other credit issues that needed to be cleared up so my loan got denied when it went to underwriting, but they never pulled her credit since she was not going to be on the loan. Not sure if that would be the case with all lenders though.

Message 2 of 8
ficofreaks
Valued Member

Thanks for your reply!!  What kind of loan did you try to get approved for and what kind of loan did your wife have?  Was it an FHA?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If he is not on the loan, he is not repsonsible for the other loan and should have no problems funding a loan if he meets all the normal criteria.  If the lO tells you that, find another one becuase they are full of it or lazy.

Message 4 of 8
ficofreaks
Valued Member

I have a feeling that they are full of it because the one I spoke with put me on hold for a while and came back on the phone and said that the underwriter himself told my lending officer that.  Either that or it could vary from underwriter to underwriter, bank to bank?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife has a conventional loan and I was applying for an FHA loan. My mid score at the time was 603 and they were willing to work with that but I didn't have a lot of new credit at that point so that's what I'm working on now. I plan to apply again in the next couple of months Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
ficofreaks
Valued Member

That's pretty much the same situation my husband is in.  Trying to get a couple more credit lines open since he only has one.  How long has it been since you've opened it and have been paying on it?  Just trying to get an idea of how long we should wait Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We were told that I needed at least 3 open tradelines (I opened two secured credit cards and got another store card and a car financed in my name because we needed one anyways). The cards have been reporting for about 6 months now but I have a few charge offs from 2004 that are causing problems with getting financed right now. They said the tradelines were ok though. They told us those tradelines need to show a positive credit history for 6-12 months. Plus we are working on saving up reserves right now too because with my score being lower right now (615) they want to see more money in the bank Smiley Wink With higher scores you might be in better shape though.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.