Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a USDA loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about a USDA loan

Hello all,

LOTS of useful information on all these treads but now I have my own question.

Recently I sent in an application for the USDA Rural Development loan and my most recent credit score was a 750 which is pretty good I believe. 

My question is.....what would my co-signing for a car do to my eligibiliy for the USDA loan?

Currently, I am in the very beginning of this process of trying for this loan.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Takunda1
Established Contributor

Re: Question about a USDA loan

Like any new loan on your CR, your scores will drop a little, but most importantly with USDA your Debt to income ratio will be affected. It all depends on what other debts you have. Personally I would not be signing for any new credit while trying to buy a home.
Message 2 of 4
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

I agree. Try to put off the co-signing unless it is absolutely essential. I also agree that your primary concern would be DTI. With your score, you've got quite a bit of room to lose on the score itself before it would become an issue with USDA. The DTI, on the other hand, is impacted even if you're not planning on taking any responsibility for the monthly payments on the auto.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Takunda1 and @hawkeye33

I know it was kind of a common sense question and kind of knew what the answer would have been already but sometimes you need others to say it.

I thank you both for answering my question so quickly.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.