Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about avoiding PMI

tag
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

Question about avoiding PMI

I'm possibly buying a house.  It belonged to my grandmother, and she passed away about 6 months ago, so it is now owned by my Aunt who is in charge of the estate. 

The house has a value of 95k according to the county auditor, and a real estate agent said it would probably sell for about 95k perhaps a bit more.

If I buy the house, I will probably buy it for 80k, since we are avoiding the 6% realator fee, and I am getting a bit of a price break since I would have received a bit of money from the sale.   I would probably put 5-8k down.  Putting 16k down would be a huge stretch to put 20% down based on selling price.

I talked to one loan officer, and they said that PMI is based on purchase price, and appraised value is irrelevent.  I get why they do this, since the buyer traditonally wants the most money they can get, and the seller wants to pay the least, when a home is sold, that is tradionally a good indicator of current market value.

Since my situation is a bit different, could I avoid PMI by finding a lender to base it on current market value once its appraised?  Any other solutions? 

It would also be possible to sell it to me for a higher amount, say 90k, and I put down 18k, then take 10k from the proceeds of the house.  Seems like an odd way to do it, and it would raise the closing costs, but by avoiding PMI, I would probably come out ahead within 6 months doing it this way.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about avoiding PMI

Google gifted equity I think this is what you need.

Message 2 of 3
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about avoiding PMI

The family estate would have to give you a gift of equity - 

basically the sales price is $95k (using your numbers) but they are gifting you $15k in equity plus your additional down payment 

This should put you at or below 80% - this will only work for conventional - FHA has PMI regardless

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.