Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about bedrooms without permit and appraisal

tag
glendazamot
Regular Contributor

Question about bedrooms without permit and appraisal

I just put in an offer for a house that has two bedrooms upstairs that are not permitted. The previous owner finished these two bedrooms making the house a 5 bedroom instead of 3. Now when the appraisal gets done do they include these two bedrooms and the sq ft even though is not permitted? Sorry if the question sounds a little confusing. Thanks, you guys are great here!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about bedrooms without permit and appraisal

Usually when a permit is not taken to do alterations or add ons, the additional space is as though it doesnt exist. I wouldnt concern myself to much with the appraisal, I would concern myself more with the quality of work and if the work was performed by code by licensed personal. As an example, there is electric running through the rooms, how was the electrical work done? The a/c and heating units? If the work was performed by licensed personal more then likely they would have applied for the proper permits.

Another consideration for you... Lets just say you purchase home, and something happens such as a fire (hopefully never) you figure no big deal you have insurance. Well once the insurance company investigates and finds out the fire started upstairs, and the work was performed with-out a permit and licensed personal, you may have a very hard time collecting any money for any damages, including your personal belongings.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.