Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about earnest money?

tag
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

Question about earnest money?

Ok so my builder is requesting 2k earnest deposit. My question is.... What happens too that money? Is it included in the loan or am I paying the base price plus the 2k that he requires at signing? Do I get this money back at closing? I have read just about everyone putting down earnest money but haven't read where it goes?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
adymax
Contributor

Re: Question about earnest money?

It goes into your down payment. If you have to bring 5k at closing for down payment they will subtract 2K you already provided. We already put 6K for earnest money for our builder. 

Message 2 of 14
deg757
Regular Contributor

We did not do new construction, but we had to put $500 down in earnest money. We had to bring $8,000 to the table. They did not deduct our earnest money from the amount. They cut us a check at the table to refund the amount we had put down for earnest money. 

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 3 of 14
Amythyst
Contributor

I just confirmed with my builder that my earnest money deposit of 5k goes towards any monies owed first... so she said it would be applied to my downpayment and my total amount due at closing would be less that earnest deposit.

Message 4 of 14
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Yeah, with new construction, the money will be applied to your down payment. 

Message 5 of 14
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

OK thanx everyone. so thats 2k i dont have to worry bout!

Message 6 of 14
adymax
Contributor

Yes. That's pretty slick if your builder will build your home only with $2K deposit. 

Message 7 of 14
Db366
Established Member

Our builder only required $1000,this might also just see because we are building in his neighborhood. I
Message 8 of 14
MrChairman
Established Contributor

We put down 7K in earnest money. I expect to get 98% of this back as the closing cost assistance we are getting covers the rest.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 14
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

@MrChairman wrote:

We put down 7K in earnest money. I expect to get 98% of this back as the closing cost assistance we are getting covers the rest.

Wow 7k?! What state r u using the assistance from?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.