Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about getting a mortgage with student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about getting a mortgage with student loans

Been a reader for a bit now, thanks for all the information.

I am in the process of looking for homes, but haven't started the pre-approval process yet. I am curious if you guys think I can get approved.

My yearly income is $55,000, i have a fico in the 760s, and no blemishes on my credit. However, I do have student loans of upwards of 70k in total. 

The only bills I have now is my student loan which equals 480/month.

The houses I am looking at are in the 130k range. I have $15,000 saved for down payment/closing.

The only thing that kinda worries me are my student loans. Will this have an effect on getting a mortgage?

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
teton
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about getting a mortgage with student loans

Your student loans would be figured into your debt to income ratio like any other debt. The mortgage experts can give you better feedback than I can on how much house you can afford. There are calculators out there that will give you an estimate, though.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the insight, right now, my debt to income with no mortgage is 10%.

From what I've read, lenders would like a DTI ratio of around 35 with a mortgage.

Is this correct?

Message 3 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i am seeing up to 55% dti approved thru automated underwriting.

files with higher dti dont always get approved unless they are strong in other areas, like fico or cash reserves.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

i am seeing up to 55% dti approved thru automated underwriting.

files with higher dti dont always get approved unless they are strong in other areas, like fico or cash reserves.

Thanks for the insight DallasLoanGuy. It looks like my DTI might be approved through automated underwriting.

I have a few careless NSF on my checking account, so I am waiting a few months before I start the pre-approval process.

Judging by the information I have posted, do you guys think I am a good candidate for automatic underwriting for an FHA or even conventional loan?

recap:

$55,000 yearly income

$480/mo student loan payment

$0 car/cc payments

767 middle FICO

saved about 10-12% down

no blemishes on credit report

have a few NSF from trying to put more money in savings than i should have, but am waiting a few months so if/when UW asks for 2-3 months of bank statements, i should be okay.

Message Edited by emiller on 10-13-2008 07:07 PM
Message 5 of 7
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

You should be fine

You could also get past the NSF's with a verif. of deposit. Not all lenders are taking them but most are.

I think you will get the automated approval but even if you dont your debt to income can be a combine 43% so you would still qualify if it had to go manual UW.

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrianB_The_Loan_Professor wrote:

You should be fine

You could also get past the NSF's with a verif. of deposit. Not all lenders are taking them but most are.

I think you will get the automated approval but even if you dont your debt to income can be a combine 43% so you would still qualify if it had to go manual UW.

Good Luck

Brian

Thanks for the insight Brian.

Thank you all for your information.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.