Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about gifts and cash deposits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about gifts and cash deposits

I'm new here and I have two separate questions that I hope someone can help me with. I have perused the forums but different posts seem to have different answers and I'm not sure if that is because some are several years old and things have changed, or if it varies by lender, etc. For the record, we are just starting the pre-approval process but I want to have all my ducks in a row up front.

1. My parents plan to gift us our down payment and closing costs. Can they gift us the entire amount? I thought yes, but I saw some other posts saying we would need to have 5% of our own money which we unfortunately do not have. FWIW, they can gift us 20% if needed.

2. Are cash deposits an issue if we aren't using our money for the down payment? (We have SOME money in the bank, just not a ton.) My husband works as a server so most of his income comes in in cash. (None of it is under the table, all declared on taxes.) However, he doesn't just deposit it all so it isn't like it is easy to match the amounts being deposited with his paystubs. (I guess they're similar within reason, but not 100%.) Basically, he receives cash daily (again, declared), keeps some in cash as spending money, uses some to pay his car note at our credit union (trail of that, obviously), and then once or twice a month will deposit a couple thousand which goes towards rent, bills, etc. Obviously, we have a record of the tips (all show on his paystubs) but on the bank statement it just says "cash deposit" or "teller deposit."

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Question about gifts and cash deposits

I can answer question 1 for you:  FHA allows a gift for 100% of your down payment and/or closing costs and pre-paid expenses. You are limited to 6% of purchase price for the gift toward closing costs and pre-paids.  If you are going for a conventional loan, then you have to have 5% of your own money. 

One of the others will have to answer your question #2.

Message 2 of 8
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...cash flow income from server tips are a common item ...as long as your IRS tax forms, pay stubs and bank deposits do not show evident conflicts, it shouldn't be a problem ...if there are any, the uw will ask for a LOE but thats a common occurrance and nothing to worry about.

...as for the gifting, if your parents are comfortable with it, you can ask them to deposit most of it well in advance ...afaik the lender is only going to pull the last 2 mts of your bank statements ...any prior deposits won't show ...just be sure of your bank's statement dates ...that eliminates any "whose money is it issues" ...else SO10 provided the correct answer ...its a bit more complicated but your LO should be very familiar with the requirements and how to process them ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lemmus wrote:

...cash flow income from server tips are a common item ...as long as your IRS tax forms, pay stubs and bank deposits do not show evident conflicts, it shouldn't be a problem ...if there are any, the uw will ask for a LOE but thats a common occurrance and nothing to worry about.

...as for the gifting, if your parents are comfortable with it, you can ask them to deposit most of it well in advance ...afaik the lender is only going to pull the last 2 mts of your bank statements ...any prior deposits won't show ...just be sure of your bank's statement dates ...that eliminates any "whose money is it issues" ...else SO10 provided the correct answer ...its a bit more complicated but your LO should be very familiar with the requirements and how to process them ...hth

Message 4 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I come from the school of thought that the gift letter should be the mechanism used to transfer the gift funds. It is easy too. Your parents have to show they actually have the funds in their account to your lender, they sign a standard form gift letter for the down payment (or any gift funds) and transfer the funds to the title co just before closing - usually the day before. The title co sends in a copy of the incoming wire and you are done - easy peasy.

The way the Lemmus mentions you would need to have the funds in your accounts over 60 days (min) to show two months worth of bank statements with the funds in your account. It will satisfy the 5% of your money issue because you will be able to show it is your money since it has been sitting in your account for 60+ days.  It may be easier for you to do it this way but some parents are not comfortable doing it using this method. This is a point of discussion for you and your parents to figure out the best method to satisfy both the lender and the grantor of the gift. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The answer to your first question, is no.  5% is correct.  I would have good records of all of these transactions.  They will most likely want to see them.  Rule of thumb is never, ever deposit cash (unless you have proof), don't open any cc's or buy a car, etc.  The broker or one handling your mortgage app should tell you all you need to do.  Believe me, we made a couple mistakes and deposited cash and had to show proof of it.  It's just a PITB but you can manage.  We just stopped putting any cash into the bank.  Only direct deposits from work.  And had our "home" money just sit there just before closing.  We had an excellent broker & title agent.  All things went quickly at closing.  Good luck in your new home.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

The answer to your first question, is no.  5% is correct.  I would have good records of all of these transactions.  They will most likely want to see them.  Rule of thumb is never, ever deposit cash (unless you have proof), don't open any cc's or buy a car, etc.  The broker or one handling your mortgage app should tell you all you need to do.  Believe me, we made a couple mistakes and deposited cash and had to show proof of it.  It's just a PITB but you can manage.  We just stopped putting any cash into the bank.  Only direct deposits from work.  And had our "home" money just sit there just before closing.  We had an excellent broker & title agent.  All things went quickly at closing.  Good luck in your new home.  Smiley Very Happy

^^^Sandi - it is different for different loan types. it is 5% if it is a conventional loans only. And yes, 100% can be gifted with an FHA loan. I know this to be true 100%.  Now, it is possible a lender might have an overlay for the FHA loan gift but in 35 years i have neve seen that particular overlay on gift funds. It is one of the clear benefits to an FHA loan.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no knowledge of gift funds (unless someone wants to give me a nice gift,I close on June 29th) but to the other point, I do have first hand knowledge. I am a bartender, And some 97% of my earnings are cash. My USDA coordinator understood that, and basically she just asked me to make sure my bank deposits were within pay periods. ie my reported tip earnings for a period were 1000. Put whatever was going in the bank from that pay period in within that period or the next couple days. Basically NOT do what I normally do and pile up 3 grand and deposit it all at once in a pay period where I showed 800 in tips. Fortunately I havea delightful little local bank right down the street that is open 7 days a week, so not terribly inconvienient. I basically just got in the habit of making all of my reported tips go into the bank, and using credit cards for everything, paying before the statement cut. Maybe keep a bit of cash for silly stuff, but damn near all of it goes in the bank. Its sort of a pain, but I have earned a significant amount of cash back this way, and I know exactly what comes in and goes out (though I had gotten pretty good about tracking anyway.)

Once I close I will go back to not being a nut about running to the bank, but for now its not really a huge hassle. And if your husband is like me and piles up quarters don't make an absurd deposit Smiley Very Happy I had almost 3k in quarters so I used coinstar for amazon gift cards and started buying things I need for the house. No fee if you get amazon home depot, best buy or some other gift cards. Just be aware you can only get 1k at a time, which shouldnt be a problem for most people...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.