Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about higher interest rate and origination charge credits

tag
Catacam
Frequent Contributor

Question about higher interest rate and origination charge credits

So we met with our LO today to sign all of the loan disclosures (all 69 pages of them) and our closing costs are a bit higher than expected.  Our LO said that we could take a higher interest rate and get a credit back on the loan origination amount, which would be less money to the table. We could then refinance in a few months when my credit is a bit better. 

Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not this is a good idea?

Thank you so much!

CLOSED ON OUR FIRST HOME MAY 30TH!!!

Starting Score: TU 589 EQ 526 EX603
Current Score: TU 635 EQ 603 EX ??
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Re: Question about higher interest rate and origination charge credits

What is your current interest rate?

I am by no means an expert on this, but it was my understanding that refinancing was only worth it if you could get a new interest rate that was X% below your current one. Admittedly, I cannot remember what the X was, but I recall it being pretty signifcant and I just can't imagine that refinancing a loan created now would ever make sense (due to the cost of refinancing) given how crazy low interest rates are now.

Hopefully true experts will chime in, but I would think that increasing your interest rate just to lower your one-time closing costs simply does not make sense unless you absolutely cannot afford the closing closts.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 2 of 15
Catacam
Frequent Contributor

Well we aren't locking right now, but if we did, it would be 4.5%. Our LO said that if we lock in at 5%, we can get a $2600 credit back in closing. FGMC is making me pay off two medical collections at closing which equal $2300, so that $2300 is on top of all other costs. It will increase our loan payment an addition $30 per month, which is just fine as far as payment goes.

She said it won't cost anything to refinance in a few months because we won't be pulling any equity out so no need for an appraisal, and they will credit back the refinance paperwork in the loan, just a streamline refinance to lower our interest rate. Our rate is a bit higher due to the lower credit score so she said it would be helpful to refi... She said we will save thousands to get the interest rate down to 4%...

CLOSED ON OUR FIRST HOME MAY 30TH!!!

Starting Score: TU 589 EQ 526 EX603
Current Score: TU 635 EQ 603 EX ??
Goal Score: 750

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was also given this option. So far, I have paid out of pocket $500 earnest money and $450 for my appraisal. Seller is paying $4k in closing.

My options were to lock at 3.875 and only get back a tad over $300 at closing or lock at 4.0 and get back all $8xx but I chose to lock in the lower rate. I did the math when I was given the option and for about the first 2 years I would save money taking the higher rate but morecash upfront but I definately plan on staying for more that 2 years. I didn't consider refinancing later, but I would have been scared rates would be higher anyways so I wouldn't have done it anyways.

Message 4 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Catacam wrote:

So we met with our LO today to sign all of the loan disclosures (all 69 pages of them) and our closing costs are a bit higher than expected.  Our LO said that we could take a higher interest rate and get a credit back on the loan origination amount, which would be less money to the table. We could then refinance in a few months when my credit is a bit better. 

Thank you so much!

I agree with the other posters above, that you are taking a chance by taking the higher interest rate to get the lender to pay some of their fees.  The higher interest rate is a long term issue as opposed to coming up with the additional fees one time at closing. It is not guaranteed that you will be able to refinance "in a few months".  (Just ask all those people that are underwater now what their loan officer said when they signed for some of those wacky loans available in the mid 2000's.)  Also, did the LO put in writing that there would be no closing costs whatsoever to you in a refi? Or is she really saying there would be no additional lender costs?  Be careful, if it's not in writing, it doesn't exist. 

In my opinion I would be shopping other lenders right now to get a competitive rate on today's market so you can do the math and make an informed decision based on your credit file.  

Message 5 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Catacam wrote:

Thank you so much!

I agree with the other posters above, that you are taking a chance by taking the higher interest rate to get the lender to pay some of their fees.  The higher interest rate is a long term issue as opposed to coming up with the additional fees one time at closing. It is not guaranteed that you will be able to refinance "in a few months".  (Just ask all those people that are underwater now what their loan officer said when they signed for some of those wacky loans available in the mid 2000's.)  Also, did the LO put in writing that there would be no closing costs whatsoever to you in a refi? Or is she really saying there would be no additional lender costs?  Be careful, if it's not in writing, it doesn't exist. 

In my opinion I would be shopping other lenders right now to get a competitive rate on today's market so you can do the math and make an informed decision based on your credit file.  

+1.  Of course you may have already shopped it around, but if not, definitely do so.  I was able to get a lender credit but the rate was also better than I was getting elsewhere, so it was good on both fronts. Last month, I locked at 3.75% with a .875% lender credit.  At the same time, most other lenders I talked to were just offering 4% with no credit, one person was willing to go 3.875% but still no credit. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 6 of 15
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

I can tell you all that Catacam has shopped around, but like me, she has sub-620 scores so it's slim pickings and unfortunately, the going interest rate with sub-620 scores is in the 4% range.

Message 7 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@MBOhio2 wrote:

I can tell you all that Catacam has shopped around, but like me, she has sub-620 scores so it's slim pickings and unfortunately, the going interest rate with sub-620 scores is in the 4% range.

Wasn't paying attention to the scores.  In any event, those are still great rates.  Unheard of until very recently.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 8 of 15
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

That's what I have to keep telling myself Walt! My rate is 4.25%, which is high right now, but in the whole scheme of mortgages, it's still super low!!

Message 9 of 15
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@Catacam wrote:

Well we aren't locking right now, but if we did, it would be 4.5%. Our LO said that if we lock in at 5%, we can get a $2600 credit back in closing. FGMC is making me pay off two medical collections at closing which equal $2300, so that $2300 is on top of all other costs. It will increase our loan payment an addition $30 per month, which is just fine as far as payment goes.

She said it won't cost anything to refinance in a few months because we won't be pulling any equity out so no need for an appraisal, and they will credit back the refinance paperwork in the loan, just a streamline refinance to lower our interest rate. Our rate is a bit higher due to the lower credit score so she said it would be helpful to refi... She said we will save thousands to get the interest rate down to 4%...

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.  There is still going to be closing costs involved in the refinance even if you don't cash out. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.