cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about how square footage is figured.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about how square footage is figured.

I'm curious how they figure square footage.  My property is listed on all of the documents (listings, property taxes, etc.) as 1,084 square feet.  That's actually not correct.  It's a modified two story and the second level which contains two bedrooms and a bathroom is an additional 800 square feet that's not counted.  Does anyone know why that would be the case?  Do they just count main level?   Not a big deal as I own the house but I know when I was looking at houses, the 1,084 square feet almost made me not look at the house as I thought it was too small for the price. Thank goodness I did as it's absolutely beautiful.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Question about how square footage is figured.

They are probably just getting the square footage off the tax records, which weren't updated since the addition.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Shane but the house was originally built (2001) with the upper story.  In other words, it's not an addition..  Should I not worry about it until I sell (which could be a long time)?  If I try to get it changed, would that increase my property taxes?
Message 3 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You said it was "modified" which led me to believe it was added after the main part of the house was built.  Was this a tear down/rebuild, or was there actually nothing on this piece of land until the home was built?

If the county hasn't gotten word that there is a ton more square footage, and they base their valuation & taxes on the square footage of the home (vs. the market value of the property), then you should anticipate having higher property taxes down the road.  Good way to **bleep** this in the bud is by calling the assessor & tax office and ask them the same question. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

House was part of a large subdivision so there was nothing on the land prior to the house being built.  I'm just wondering whether I should open that can of worms or wait until I sell to get it straight.  They can't come after me for years past on added property taxes as I think it was the assessor's fault, right? 

Message 5 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

House was part of a large subdivision so there was nothing on the land prior to the house being built.  I'm just wondering whether I should open that can of worms or wait until I sell to get it straight.  They can't come after me for years past on added property taxes as I think it was the assessor's fault, right? 

You'd really need to contact the assessor & tax office on this, I would not assume anything that could actually be a less favorable outcome than your assumptions.  What if right after you sell the home they realize their mistake, and start doubling the amount you pay in property tax?  Would you be prepared for that?  If not, then contact the assessor & tax office before you buy.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane, I think I wasn't clear in my original post.  I bought the house last year at the end of August.  I'm the current owner and don't have any immediate plans to sell the house so having it at 1,084 square feet isn't a big deal however, should I get this fixed now or wait until I sell the house?  I don't think it will increase my property taxes to any huge degree if I get it changed now but I don't know if I really need to do that.
Message 7 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Oh, LOL, I thought you were buying the home.  My bad for assuming (guess that is what I deserve).  Since you already own the home I'd still call up the assessor and ask hypothetical questions when do they normally re-assess property, and then ask if they realized that a home was underassessed in the past, would they raise the propety taxes retroactive to when that square footage was first there - or would they just raise the property taxes from the time that they finally noticed.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Shane.  I talked to the county assessor and he fixed the error and not additional taxes will be levied. 

Message 9 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Awesome, glad to hear!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.