Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about loan counting toward DTI

tag
Cobweb
Valued Member

Question about loan counting toward DTI

We have about a year left on a vehicle loan.  I'm wondering at what point the loan isn't counted toward DTI.  We could pay the vehicle off outright, but I would like to keep as much cash available as possible.  Plus, I think having the installment loan helps our credit scores.

So - should we pay off the whole balance, down to only 6 payments left  or 3 payments left ?  Please advise.  I don't want this large-ish loan payment to factor into our DTI for loan apps.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about loan counting toward DTI

I am going throught the mortgage process and I was told that any debt with less than 10 months to pay will not count towards your DTI. Only debts that have more than 10 payments left will be counted.

Message 2 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

If the payment is over $100/mo then it'll be included, as it'd then be considered "significant" ... the guideline is 10 months or less if the underwriter doesn't consider it significant, and $100/mo is widely accepted as the threshold on what is considered significant or not.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 8
Cobweb
Valued Member

Thanks very much for answering, Shane.  It sounds like paying the loan off entirely is the way to go.  I just wonder how much (if at all) that will bring our scores down (having no installment loan in the mix).

Message 4 of 8
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

@Cobweb wrote:

Thanks very much for answering, Shane.  It sounds like paying the loan off entirely is the way to go.  I just wonder how much (if at all) that will bring our scores down (having no installment loan in the mix).

As long as you've paid the loan for more than 1 year with no lates, it will remain in your credit history as a positive for the next 10 years after you pay it off.  Prior to my current loan, I only had a paid off car loan from 7 years ago on my credit report.  I was still able to achieve an 815+ credit score across all 3 bureaus, just with the positive history of a paid off car loan.  

I paid cash for the 2 cars after that, until I finally decided it was time to get a car loan on my credit report before the old one dropped off.  It was easy making that decision with the promotional 2.99% BMW financing that was offered to me.  I haven't run my credit scores since I got the new car loan, since I expect it to have dropped until my current car loan matures to 12 months of age.  At that point, I will pay it off 2-3 months before I apply for a home loan next year.  I suspect I'll still continue to have an 800+ score then, with no other debts other than the new mortgage to count against my DTI.

Message 5 of 8
Cobweb
Valued Member

Mark, congrats on your awesome credit scores!  I know about the loan continuing to report as a positive.  What I was referring to was the 10% of my score that has to do with credit mix.  It sounds like w/your 815+ scores as an example that would be a non-issue.

My husband and I have talked more about purchasing since I first posted.  We both believe the market is in for a drop (in home sale prices) over the next year.  We are leaning toward waiting it out.  It is tempting to buy while interest rates are so low. One added issue for us that isn't typical - my dh is AD military.  So, we have to think about the possibility that we will only have the house 5 yrs vs. 10-15 or more before selling.

Thanks for your response.

Message 6 of 8
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

@Cobweb wrote:

Mark, congrats on your awesome credit scores!  I know about the loan continuing to report as a positive.  What I was referring to was the 10% of my score that has to do with credit mix.  It sounds like w/your 815+ scores as an example that would be a non-issue.

My husband and I have talked more about purchasing since I first posted.  We both believe the market is in for a drop (in home sale prices) over the next year.  We are leaning toward waiting it out.  It is tempting to buy while interest rates are so low. One added issue for us that isn't typical - my dh is AD military.  So, we have to think about the possibility that we will only have the house 5 yrs vs. 10-15 or more before selling.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, there's a ton of shadow inventory that will start to see the light of day via foreclosures and short sales in the coming year, which is why I'm waiting until next year as well.  I've actually been waiting since 2005 to upgrade to a house from my condo, when I knew we were in a bubble and people laughed at me for warning them not to buy.  I was Chicken Little to them at the time, but the past 5 years have proved me right.  Now i just need all those unqualified buyers who bid up the prices on those of us who were prudent to get foreclosed on in a timely manner in order for me to go back and buy the house that was rightly mine to begin with (minus the inflated price).

It really depends on what part of the country you're planning to buy in as far as what type of downward price correction you'll see in the coming year.  Anywhere within 45 minutes drive from the coast in California still has a ton of price correction to go (20-40%).  Places like the Inland Empire are done correcting, since they're already down 40-60% from their 2006 bubble top.

As far as interest rates going up, there's two important things to note:

1. Interest rates won't go up until A) The Fed starts to worry about inflation spiralling out of control or B) the Economy recovers.  These are non-issues since we're actually in danger of deflation and the economy isn't recovering, especially now that last year's stimulus funds are almost completely spent.

2.  If interest rates go up, home prices will drop to meet people's income servicing requirements on a monthly payment basis.  It's always better to pay less for a house with high interest rates because you can always refinance later when rates drop.  If you buy a house with an inflated price when interest rates are low, when interest rates rise, your house price will decline in order to allow people with a similar income as yours to purchase the same house.  So in your case where your husband is AD military, you want to be completely mobile, which you won't be if you buy a $200k house with a 30 year fixed rate mortgage at 5% with a monthly payment of ~$1,100.  If 5 years later interest rates go up to 8% on the same mortgage, then your house will need to sell for $150k in order for someone to be able to buy it and still make a ~$1,100 monthly payment on it.  Trust me, people focus on the monthly payment, not the price of the house, or the interest rates.  One or the other has to give in order to adjust for people's income.

Message 7 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

My standard advice on situations like this are for the borrower to NOT pay it off unless they have to.

Your loan officer can simulate ceretain things like this in the loan software. You might be better off NOT paying it off.

Until a loan officer can run the file thru the computer, u just do not know

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.