Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about refinancing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about refinancing?

Last year we remodeled our kitchen and financed it through Green Tree. We hosed ourselves and now have a 25 year loan payment, at 289 a month, equalling 60,000 dollars worth of interest  by the time the loan is paid off. I am not good when it comes to my options, so I was hoping that someone might give advice on other options to refinance and how to go about it.       Thanks to All

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Question about refinancing?

why do you want to refi? 

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to refi. because I feel like we will be paying way to much interest for too many years and was hoping someone could help steer me in the right direction for a loan, with less years and better rate (current rate 12.99%) Thanks
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have equity in your house?  You could refinance and roll the amount on this 25 year loan into your monthly mortgage payment.

That would be your best bet.....

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have some equity, but not enough to do it that way. Thanks though!!!
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do the terms of your 25 year loan prohibit prepayment?  You could always just pay extra on the loan to pay down the principle faster to reduce the years and interest paid, assuming they will allow you to apply the extra payment to the principle.  Generally the only time you need to refinance is to reduce the monthly payment (either via lowering interest rate or extending the term) or to change the terms of the loan (adjustable to fixed, etc).  If you just want to pay it off sooner most loans have that option without refinancing.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a possibility, but was hoping there might be another solution out there. Thank you for the response.
Message 7 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

GreenTree purchased Conseco and does a ton of manufactured home loans.  So, do you own a stick built house or a manufactured home?  If it's a manufactured home, do you own the land under it or are you leasing it?  If it's a lease is it a long term lease or month-to-month, year-to-year, etc.?
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 9
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Interest is interest - Get the lowest rate you can and then pay whatever amount OVER the minimum you can afford comfortably.

I am guessing you owe around 25-30k so stretching it out and paying the minimum will make you pay 2-3 times what you borrowed....almost sounds like a sears credit card Smiley Wink

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.