Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about repaying $8000 credit

tag
cocobutta
Established Member

Question about repaying $8000 credit

Hello everyone. I have a question
I purchased my first home last year and I qualified for the $8000 credit. Well it's been a little over a year and I'm ready to sell and buy another home. Only thing I'm concerned with is repaying the $8000. But here's the thing....I'm embarrassed to say but I owed back taxes and I only got $43.00 of the $8000 credit. The rest went to my back takes. Does anyone know if I still would have to repay the money? I know it's probably a long shot, but I am so irritated with my next door neighbors ( i bought a townhouse ), that I am so sick of living here and I'm ready to move and purchase a single family home which I should've done in the first place.

Again, does anyone know if I still have to repay the money since technically I didn't get any of the $8000 in my hand...the irs took it to pay my back taxes?

Thanks in advanced!!

1/2/08 TU: 625 (634 as of 4/21/08) EX: 568 (586 as of 4/1/08) EQ: 645
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SDChrgrboy2
Valued Member

Re: Question about repaying $8000 credit

Yes you would have to pay it back. You say you didn't actually get it, well you did get it, it went to back taxes. Would you rather owe the back taxes with interest and penalties and have gotten the credit and spent it? Then you would owe both.  At least you only owe one.

Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Question about repaying $8000 credit

technically, you got $8000

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.