Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about reserves?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about reserves?

I am wondering about this.  I received my approval letter today with some things I have to show.  One of the things they are asking for is $XX amount of money in my bank account.  I have enough to cover the down payment but I didn't know I needed more and if I had know I wouldn't have paid cash for the inspection of $450 and then another $1000 to the real estate agent.   So what now?  Are they not supposed to tell you that?  I can pull it from my 401K but do they check that?  They said any deposit would have to be explained and seasoned.

The reason I am also wondering is I sent them my 2 months bacnk statements 2 weeks and it showed then that I did not have $xx of money readily available.  Why are they asking fro something that has not changed in 2 weeks?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about reserves?

Boy I can not type either hahahahah
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am wondering about this.  I received my approval letter today with some things I have to show.  One of the things they are asking for is $XX amount of money in my bank account.  I have enough to cover the down payment but I didn't know I needed more and if I had know I wouldn't have paid cash for the inspection of $450 and then another $1000 to the real estate agent.   So what now?  Are they not supposed to tell you that?  I can pull it from my 401K but do they check that?  They said any deposit would have to be explained and seasoned.

The reason I am also wondering is I sent them my 2 months bacnk statements 2 weeks and it showed then that I did not have $xx of money readily available.  Why are they asking fro something that has not changed in 2 weeks?

I would think that money in your 401K will count as reserves, because it's your money.  Call your LO and ask just to be sure, but I've heard that your 401K is your money, so it counts, so long as you can access it.

I don't have $1K in my 401K yet, so I can't use that for a downpayment or anything because I can't withdraw or borrow against it.

Message 3 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

money in 401k is INDEED cash reserves. but you will have to show the terms and conditions of the account(prove that it is liguid.... i.e. can withdraw)

i wonder about some of the loan officers the posters have run into lately.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why did you give a real estate agent $1,000 ??? and what for??????? is what bothers me....

Real Estate agents ONLY make money if you buy through them and they get their 3% comission...........

Also, are there issues with your credit that requires reserves?  99% of the time (or so I have read) reserves aren't needed if you have the DP and scores..........

I am quite concerned with this $1K to a real estate agent !!!!!!!! 

Message 5 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

mel

i saw that too.... i figured it was earnest money check made out to title.

maybe i shouldnt assume anymore.

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.