cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about switching mortgage brokers.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about switching mortgage brokers.

I am having a serious issue with my mortgage broker.  He is extremely rude and very unhelpful.  I was in tears the other day and my realtor assured me that she knows that he is a jerk and everyone has problems with him personally but that he always gets the closing and that is why she continues to use him.  

We have put an offer on a home, seller has accepted, binder paid and we are now waiting on the bank to accept the offer.  My question is wether or not I can walk away from my broker and start working with another?  We had a pre-approval letter when submitting the offer and I am just not sure how all of that works.  I just think it is crazy that I have to keep coming here and to other boards to get advice and questions answered because my broker refuses to be helpful.  He was not like this in the beginning.  Part of me wants to just keep going with him but another says no.  I can't even get him to give me a proper estimate of how much my payment may be.  He comes back with smart remarks and answers nothing.  

My realtor told me that I need to take my high heels off and put my combat boots on to deal with him but I am not a fighter.  I hate conflict and I just don't believe that I should have to fight someone that is supposed to be on my side and working for me in a sense.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Question about switching mortgage brokers.

It looks like your realtor has a working relationship with the mortgage broker.  Most of them do for one reason or another, usually because the realtor has had sucess with the broker in the past.  You as the buyer are not committed to the broker.  However, any money paid to him or her will be lost if you go to another broker for better service.  There is no reason for the broker to be rude.  If it were me i would contact another lending source and explain the situation.  Who knows, you may get the help you need. 

Message 2 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i would switch

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@namvet wrote:

It looks like your realtor has a working relationship with the mortgage broker.  Most of them do for one reason or another, usually because the realtor has had sucess with the broker in the past.  You as the buyer are not committed to the broker.  However, any money paid to him or her will be lost if you go to another broker for better service.  There is no reason for the broker to be rude.  If it were me i would contact another lending source and explain the situation.  Who knows, you may get the help you need. 

We paid our binder but it was paid to the seller's real estate company because my broker does not have an escrow account, so no money has been given directly to our broker.  Does this mean we would not lose that?  I am just scared this guy will retaliate because he is really just that mean and dare I say evil.  If I showed you the emails you would probably be in shock.  It is good to know that I am not bound to him, I was not sure how all of that worked. 

Message 4 of 9
boomhower
Valued Contributor

You don't need to deal with that crap.  I'd switch brokers and take your business elsewhere.  Them make sure you let his boss know why you left them. Vote with your wallet and find someone better.

Message 5 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Switch lenders.

The escrow is not affected by you changing lenders. The other post was referring to an application fee or any other type of fee you may have paid the lender. Hopefully you haven't paid that lender anything yet.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only thing I paid for was a credit report which is just 14.95.  I am seriously thinking about switching but scared to do so.  Thank you for the advise!!!!

Message 7 of 9
mlearma
New Contributor

Switch now... Run...I am days from closing on our new house and the last month has been a nightmare. Your guy sounds exactly like mine. I have some emails I have shared with people which are downright jaw dropping. The guy won't talk to me.... If I leave a message he emails me to email my questions. He never answers anything just tells me that I delay things by bugging him. Even though we are down to one condition to close w this guy.... We have had enough and have started with lender two. If he can get us cleared this week we are done with the jerk. Good luck....if you are in Georgia it sounds like we have the same guy,
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mlearma wrote:
Switch now... Run...I am days from closing on our new house and the last month has been a nightmare. Your guy sounds exactly like mine. I have some emails I have shared with people which are downright jaw dropping. The guy won't talk to me.... If I leave a message he emails me to email my questions. He never answers anything just tells me that I delay things by bugging him. Even though we are down to one condition to close w this guy.... We have had enough and have started with lender two. If he can get us cleared this week we are done with the jerk. Good luck....if you are in Georgia it sounds like we have the same guy,

I am in Florida.  I hope your second option works out.  I guess I am just scared that someone else will not be able to help us because he is supposedly a miracle worker when it comes to getting a closing.  I am thinking at this point we are going to stay with him and learn to have patience with his nastieness.  I will definitely be writing and making some calls to his superiors once it is all over with.  They will be receiving a copy of all the rude emails also.  I just would hate to switch to someone that can't get the approval for my own selfish reasons and because the short sale that we have our offer on is actually in the final stages of forclosure.  If things don't work out the sellers will not have a buyer.  The house is set to go to auction on 03/05/12!  If we do not have approval of the offer from the bank by then we lose the house : ( .  I will definitely be walking away if the bank does not accept the offer and will just start over fresh with someone else.  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.