Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for you brilliant guys!! lol

tag
camille11
New Contributor

Question for you brilliant guys!! lol

My best friend had a business fail in 2009.  He went to see a lawyer to talk about bankruptcy today.  This attorney told him that he can file bankruptcy on all those collections and old accounts for only that year the business failed..2009.  He then said, due to some sort of loop hole, he could buy a home within three to four years.  He said he has a client that just closed on a 950,000 home after doing this with a failed business in 2010.  Got a mortgage with no problems at all.  Of course he makes plenty of money too!  Smiley Happy

Any of you ever heard of this?  I told him I would ask the question here, and see if you guys knew.  If you don't know...like me...lol... I understand.  I never heard of this. But, I am no lawyer either.  Oh, and I know none of you are.  Or maybe you are! haha.

Thanks much!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Question for you brilliant guys!! lol

After a Ch 7 BK discharge there is only a 2 year wait for FHA & VA financing.  3 year wait for USDA financing.  4 year wait for conventional financing.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 8
camille11
New Contributor

Wow.  Really?  I thought he was lying to me.  I didn't believe a word he said.  Goes to show you what I know.  lol  Hope he can get approved for FHA in two years.  If not, he has a long wait, and two years isn't short either...considering the interest rate is rising.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It's good for you to question mortgage advice from a BK attorney, I've heard some pretty bad advice from my own ears.  Bankruptcy attorney's specialize in bankruptcy protection, not in qualifying for a new mortgage.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

It's good for you to question mortgage advice from a BK attorney, I've heard some pretty bad advice from my own ears.  Bankruptcy attorney's specialize in bankruptcy protection, not in qualifying for a new mortgage.

i agree.... i have had countless clients come to me after getting bad advice from bk attorney

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 8
camille11
New Contributor

Oh, ok.  I know, I have heard different stories myself.  I think he is best off to talk to more than one Bankruptcy attorney.  So, what do you guys know about it?  Is it true you can recover that quickly? Or does it just depend on the individual?  This is for a business, and I did read is is faster to move forward, but who knows if what I read is true either.  Smiley Frustrated  I trust in you guys, and just thought maybe there was a "for sure" answer.  I do know an attorney will tell some tall tales to get some money.  lol  Those accounts have only a year and a half before they are removed.  It would take longer, I'm fairly certain with a bk ruptcy.  I just wondered how long exactly, but maybe there is no "one and only answer to this." 

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Message 6 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@camille11 wrote:

Oh, ok.  I know, I have heard different stories myself.  I think he is best off to talk to more than one Bankruptcy attorney.  So, what do you guys know about it?  Is it true you can recover that quickly? shane pretty much spelled it out.... if you re-establish credit.... those are the waiting times Or does it just depend on the individual?  This is for a business, and I did read is is faster to move forward, but who knows if what I read is true either.  Smiley Frustrated  I trust in you guys, and just thought maybe there was a "for sure" answer.  I do know an attorney will tell some tall tales to get some money.  lol  Those accounts have only a year and a half before they are removed.  It would take longer, I'm fairly certain with a bk ruptcy.  I just wondered how long exactly, but maybe there is no "one and only answer to this." 

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 8
camille11
New Contributor

Well, alrighty then.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.