cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Qualifying for a Mortgage

tag
kevinlw1974

Question on Qualifying for a Mortgage

OK, so I am wanting to buy a house soon for the first time. here are my details.

According to this site the scores that are most commonly used for Mortgages are:

I have 5 credit cards and I do not carry any balance on those.

I have one judgement from 5 years ago that was paid off.

I currently have one collection that is $211 that i am going to try and get a pay for deletion.

I have no other debt and 30k in a 401k and about 1500 in a growing emergency fund.

I make 60k a year.

The house I am wanting to buy is worth about 170k but I can get a decent deal because I know the owner. I'm actually renting it from him right now.

What are my chances with an FHA? I also qualify for a VA loan as well. What would be the best route?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question on Qualifying for a Mortgage

@kevinlw1974 wrote:

OK, so I am wanting to buy a house soon for the first time. here are my details.

According to this site the scores that are most commonly used for Mortgages are:

I have 5 credit cards and I do not carry any balance on those.

I have one judgement from 5 years ago that was paid off.

I currently have one collection that is $211 that i am going to try and get a pay for deletion.

I have no other debt and 30k in a 401k and about 1500 in a growing emergency fund.

I make 60k a year.

The house I am wanting to buy is worth about 170k but I can get a decent deal because I know the owner. I'm actually renting it from him right now.

What are my chances with an FHA? I also qualify for a VA loan as well. What would be the best route?

VA if you can. Rates will be similar to FHA but you can go zero down and also not have to pay mortgage insurance.

Message 2 of 6
kevinlw1974

@Anonymous wrote:

VA if you can. Rates will be similar to FHA but you can go zero down and also not have to pay mortgage insurance.

I know you can't says yes definitely, but do you think I have a shot at qualifying?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kevinlw1974 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know you can't says yes definitely, but do you think I have a shot at qualifying?

Yes, as long as you don't have a boatload of debt.

Message 4 of 6
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kevinlw1974 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, as long as you don't have a boatload of debt.

define 'boatload'..

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't want to go through the FHA route in this economy because the interest rates will only get higher and you won't have a change to refinance. I would reccomend that you take 10k out of your 401k and apply for a conventional loan with PMI (it can be done with 5% down). Since you said that you can get a good deal from your current owner, your appraisal would probably come out higher than the sales price, so you'd have to pay PMI for only a few months. Don't go for major banks when searching for a mortgage, go for the smaller guys because they are faster and more easier to work with. I'd be quick if I were you because the FED MAY RAISE RATES THIS WEEK.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.