Established Contributor
awdsmama

Question on loans / penalties for selling early?

Background:  Eventually I will buy my parents house.  It's a hous that started in our family and has not left our family.  I imagine this will be in 10-15 years. 

I would like to buy my first home (credit rebuilding currently, trying to get ducks in a row) in the next year. 

That said, are there programs I need to be aware of that would penalize me for selling within 10 or 15 years? 

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Valued Contributor
tooleman694

Re: Question on loans / penalties for selling early?

not that I know of.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

It is fairly rare to see restrictions on the sale of property you own. I have seen a penalty imposed if the financing you choose has a pre-payment penalty for a specified period of time. Again, that is not common now, but it does exist.

Another restriction of the sale is a short term restriction that is typically invoked by a bank owned home restricting your sale for X days (90 to 180 days is typical). If you sell during that period then there is a specified penalty applied. The one that comes to mind right away is the fannie mae restriction for X months (IIRC) and a penalty of $10,000 if you sell early.

However, with the time lines you are talking about, years, I have never seen a restriction for that long. A pre-payment penalty, yes. But again, that is rare.

Established Contributor
awdsmama

Thank you both!

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+