Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on paying a collection without a PFD

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Question on paying a collection without a PFD

OK, OK....I know. You should never pay a CA without a PFD. But I have a question for you guys because I suspect more of you in here have paid a CA without a PFD because of mortgage crunch time than anywhere else in this forum.

Poll Question: How many of you paid a CA, or even a non-CC CO, without a PFD and can say that you experienced a score drop because of that payment? If this happened to you, if you'd be so kind to post back and mention any details if you have them.

ETA...Alternatively, if you experience no change or an increase, mention that too.
Message Edited by llecs on 06-25-2009 11:14 AM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question on paying a collection without a PFD

DH had a medical collection for about $400.  We tried PFD, no go.  Then we settled for $290.  They updated his CR and it read paid/settled in full.  There was no score change.  He then asked for them to delete the CA.  They did.  He had to beg and plead.  Even told them we about trying to buy a house and that was the only thing keeping his score down.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am wondering the same thing because of what my LO told me.  I dont want my score to drop because of it, but I am wondering if it will, as the dates reported have been updated anyway to 5/2009.
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Someone pointed out that it was urban legend that scores drop when paying a CA without a PFD. Like Mythbusters, I think there's some merit in that claim. I've seen several posts in here where the poster mentioned a score loss after paying a CA at the direction of a LO. I'd argue that the DOLA and reported dates are changing.

Thanks for the input!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.