cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding Mortgage lenders and credit card usage.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding Mortgage lenders and credit card usage.

An interesting question came up in the rebuilding forum. Basically the discussing was about how to best utilize a credit card during the rebuilding process and how such usage would be viewed by a mortgage lender.

Basically the question is this - between  the following two behavior models, would either be looked upon unfavorably by a lender:

1. User has a low limit ($300) card and he only puts a small charge (<$20) on the card each month and pays it off a few days after the statement date so the card show usage on the credit report, ostensibly to maximize scoring.

2. User has the same low limit card but uses the card for everyday expenses like groceries, gas, utilities, etc, charging the card to near its limit on a weekly basis, but paying it off within a day or two. He leaves a small balance to be reported same as #1 above.

It was noted that 'high balance' as well as 'payments' are reported on a monthly basis for credit cards, so #2 could be easily inferred from those numbers. Is this something a lender would take note of?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Question regarding Mortgage lenders and credit card usage.

It does not matter. From a lender's perspective, the care about:

1) Can you pay back the loan

2) How long have you been employed

3) What does your  overall credit profile look like

4) Do you have enough cash reserves to qualify for the loan

5) Do you meet all other underwriting guidelines.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ezdriver wrote:

It does not matter. From a lender's perspective, the care about:

1) Can you pay back the loan

2) How long have you been employed

3) What does your  overall credit profile look like

4) Do you have enough cash reserves to qualify for the loan

5) Do you meet all other underwriting guidelines.

That was kind of what I was thinking as well. I was arguing in favor of behavior #2, as that generates low risk vendor fees for the CC issuer (encouraging CLI's), demonstrates discipline on the part of the user, and maximizes FICO scores.

Message 3 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i dont know if automated underwriting scores you based on utilization. it is a secret recipe just like fico scores.

as for me, the lender, it doesnt matter

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.