Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding salary history for first-time home buyer

tag
briantoy84
Valued Member

Question regarding salary history for first-time home buyer

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone has experience or suggestions for my situation. I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start the process in a few months.

History:

So I had been employed with the same company for almost 8 years, ending this past February due to the company being acquired and most employees being laid off. I immediately started at my new company (i mean old job last day was on a Friday, and I started new job on the following Monday) as a contractor. This continued for 6 months until this past August, when I converted to a full-time salaried employee. My work is in the same field as its been the past 8 years. I know money from 1099's are viewed as self-employment income, but the prior 2 years of tax returns will show me as a w-2 employee, since this was only a short stint until my new company approved the new headcount for me to come on board permanently.

What issues/concerns will I face during UW, and what extra documentation might I need?

As a secondary question, my new job has a fairly large jump in salary compared to my old company. So my tax returns will obviously show much lower income, but am I correct that they will use my recent pay stubs to calculate my current salary and what I will qualify for? Thank you all in advance for your advice!

1 REPLY 1
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Question regarding salary history for first-time home buyer

@briantoy84 wrote:

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone has experience or suggestions for my situation. I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start the process in a few months.

History:

So I had been employed with the same company for almost 8 years, ending this past February due to the company being acquired and most employees being laid off. I immediately started at my new company (i mean old job last day was on a Friday, and I started new job on the following Monday) as a contractor. This continued for 6 months until this past August, when I converted to a full-time salaried employee. My work is in the same field as its been the past 8 years. I know money from 1099's are viewed as self-employment income, but the prior 2 years of tax returns will show me as a w-2 employee, since this was only a short stint until my new company approved the new headcount for me to come on board permanently. i see this all the time. your file will be processed as a w-2 salary employee. 

What issues/concerns will I face during UW, and what extra documentation might I need?

As a secondary question, my new job has a fairly large jump in salary compared to my old company. So my tax returns will obviously show much lower income, but am I correct that they will use my recent pay stubs to calculate my current salary and what I will qualify for? current salary will be used. they will look at paystubs and back that up with an employer verification of income.Thank you all in advance for your advice!

no sweat. easy deal

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.