Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about loan approval

tag
khw
Regular Contributor

Questions about loan approval

Hi,

My husband and I planned to buy a new home this past summer but the loan was contingent on us selling our current home, that didn't happen and our house is still on the market, we are hoping to be able to sell and buy this coming spring/summer with any luck. We wanted to buy a new truck and travel trailer this summer but were waiting for the new house so it wouldn't mess with our future loan, since we didn't sell we went ahead and bought both last week and were able to get great deals, b/c of our improved credit scores we were able to lower our interest rates and monthly payments by about $50 each so we are saving around $100 a month. My question is when we were pre approved in June we had a 41% dti and credit scores from 670-720 .. Now my husband is in the 765-785 range and mine are 750's  and our DTI should be slightly lower with the new payments but we will have two new loans  on our credit which I'm sure will lower our scores somewhat. With all the changes do you think we will still easily qualify for a loan? and do lenders only look at monthly payments or also total amount owed? Our total debt went up but monthly payments were lowered. 

Oh and a few other details, we carry no credit card debt, we both have a few cards each but only a charge few small purchases that we always pay in full every month and we also own a rental property that has a monthly payment of about $1000 a month but we receive $1250 in rent that is reported to our taxes ($50 more then when we were pre-approved in June, we raised rent since then) 

Thanks for any help! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 480-550 in 2005
Current Score: 761 TU/764 EQ - 08/1/2013 /754 EX 12/15/12
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Questions about loan approval

It's the monthly payments that affect your DTI, not the balance owed on the debt.

The increase in the amount you get in rental income won't be factored into your debt ratio until your 2010 taxes are filed/used for underwriting, but since compared to last time your credit scores are going to be higher, and your debt to income ratio will be lower, you should be fine.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
khw
Regular Contributor

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

It's the monthly payments that affect your DTI, not the balance owed on the debt.

The increase in the amount you get in rental income won't be factored into your debt ratio until your 2010 taxes are filed/used for underwriting, but since compared to last time your credit scores are going to be higher, and your debt to income ratio will be lower, you should be fine.

Great! That's what I was hoping, but I wanted to make sure.. Thanks Shane! 

Starting Score: 480-550 in 2005
Current Score: 761 TU/764 EQ - 08/1/2013 /754 EX 12/15/12
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Welcome.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.