Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Score increase & Debt to Income ratio

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Score increase & Debt to Income ratio

Hello All! 

I am new to MyFico, but so far I am finding it very useful! 

Last year I ran into some medical issues that depleted our savings. The doctor required upfront payments and as a result the lowest balance cards were late and I maxed out the cards. (3 lates in 1 month.) On top of dealing with this we were trying to QUICKLY pay down a store card we opened before retroactive interest hit and we failed making that a total waste.

My total credit limit was 6200 with 98% utilization. As of the end of 2015 I increased my household income by $26,000 a year. As of March I have paid $3550 of my debt off. My score is still in the high 500s but it has not updated showing the payments I made with the savings. 

Will this likely boost my credit score to the 600s? 

Second question: I am selling my house and using the equity in it as a down payment for a new house(& paying off the rest of my debt) . The house will be ready in September but I need to get pre-approved in April.

. My question is this: If I have an open account with no balance is that included in my debt to income ratio? I am afraid to close some of these cards because they have been around the longest!! I need to lower my debt to income ratio but I am not sure if 0 balances count against it? 

(My newest card is 7 months old but I have a very low interest rate, my oldest card has a very high interest rate, but I keep it because it's 8 years old) 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Mrsg714
Contributor

Re: Quick Score increase & Debt to Income ratio

Hopefully one of the more experienced posters will chime in, but I just wanted to say that I have 4 cards with a 0 balance and my lender is not counting them in my DTI.
Message 2 of 4
amthystwlf
New Contributor

Add the minimum monthly payment on all debts, even if you pay more than that amount. You only include cards with a balance. Divide the total monthly payments by your gross income to get your DTI ratio. That's how it was explained to me to calculate DTI.

Scores on 4/182016
Mortgage - EQ 694 EX 713 TU 706
FICO - EQ 654 EX 696 TU 691
Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Don't close your credit cards.

Even if they have a zero balance the credit limit is helping your utilization.

Wait until you close on your new home before you close any cards.

The pp was right - only minimum balances due are used to calculate your DTI.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.