Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick mortgage question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick mortgage question

Without too much analysis of specific credit issues: if someone has a score of low 500s, has 20% down on a purchase price of $129k, has income of $5k per month...  how would a lender view this?  Much chance of getting a mortgage?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Quick mortgage question

depends on other factors.... but 20% DOES cure some credit woes.

i would give it a 'decent' chance

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok... my DD and SIL are meeting with a lender on Sunday to start the ball rolling on securing financing.  The score they are going off of is 565.  She was told that it would be much better if the score was 580 and there are two small debts that she is working on getting paid and removed so that might do it.

Something my daughter said today lowers this lenders credibility to me.  She said he told her that they offer a credit repair service, at a charge of course, and that just opting out of credit offers and getting the SOFT inquiries off their credit would raise their score about 10 points.

What's this BS?  Soft inquiries don't affect scores.  She knows the difference between a soft and hard pull as she has been working on cleaning up their credit for the last year so I don't think she would have misunderstood that.

Message 3 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

*raising eyebrows*
Retired Lender
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

He might have meant the pre-approval offer inquiries and just said it wrong?!? I know it does help opting out and evn my credit cards sporatically check my file so maybe that is it. Although I am sure she could do as well of a job on her own.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.