Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESP new laws when shopping for best mortgage rates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

RESP new laws when shopping for best mortgage rates

Since the new RESP laws are in affect and you cannot get a Good Faith Estimate from a mortgage lender without giving them your social security number which in turn they pull your credit report which in turn can lower your FICO scores - how does one shop around and get a various quotes from Mortgage Lenders without it hurting your credit score.  I don't want 3-4 credit inquires from mortgage lenders just to see what their charges are on a Good Faith Estimate only to ruin my credit rating.

thanks for anyone's advice/help

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: RESP new laws when shopping for best mortgage rates

Honestly, a lender can not give you an accurate GFE without running credit anyways and they do not like to discuss terms based upon a credit report they did not pull (i.e bringing copies of your reports in)  That said, all mortgage inquiries in a 14 day window all count as one and will not be counted against your FICO score for at least 30 days, so the ey is to make all of your inquiries in a couple days.  No matter what you are going to take a hit for the 1st pull (be it 30 days later), so have several people run your numbers at the same time and then go with the one that BOTH gives you solid numbers and seems to be repsonsive and up front.  If someone comes in alot cheaper than the rest of the pack, there is usually a reason (and it is generally not a good one)
Message Edited by mickie08 on 02-17-2010 03:54 PM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.